Finding Range of Projectile Under Air Resistance

In summary, you are trying to find a formula to show the maximum distance traveled by a projectile in the x direction with air resistance. You have already found your displacements in the x and y direction by solving second order differential equations, but it would be too difficult to solve for the time. You can solve for the range separately, but it will require a numerical technique.
sosolid
I have made a program in Matlab to plot the path of a projectile with air resistance, however, I am lost as to how to obtain an equation for the range. I have found my displacements in the x and y direction by solving second order differential equations, it would be far too difficult to set the y equation to zero and hence solve for the time. Basically I want a way of obtaining a formula to show the maximum distance traveled by the projectile in the x direction. If the projectile did not have air resistance then this would be easy as one would simply have to set the equation for vertical height to zero and solve for the time, this time is the total time of flight. However, when considering air resistance I am just finding it too difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
sosolid said:
I have made a program in Matlab to plot the path of a projectile with air resistance, however, I am lost as to how to obtain an equation for the range. I have found my displacements in the x and y direction by solving second order differential equations, it would be far too difficult to set the y equation to zero and hence solve for the time. Basically I want a way of obtaining a formula to show the maximum distance traveled by the projectile in the x direction. If the projectile did not have air resistance then this would be easy as one would simply have to set the equation for vertical height to zero and solve for the time, this time is the total time of flight. However, when considering air resistance I am just finding it too difficult.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

You have already seen that to solve for x and y, you have to solve the differential equation numerically, i.e. there are no analytical solutions to each of the coordinate position. This tells you that you also can't solve for the time-of-flight analytically, and that means that you also have the same issue with solving for the range.

So unless you want to set up 2 coupled differential equations, the only way I can see in doing this is to solve for the range separately using your original equation that solved for x and y, but doing it in smaller steps until you narrow down the solution for x corresponding to y~0. There are several numerical techniques that may be available in Matlab to find such a root.

Zz.

Is air resistance proportional to the velocity?

Hi,
Well, if you have a symbolic toolbox, you might try to get a quasi-analytic solution.
Or at least try to reduce your model to something more basic.
Smoochie

Related to Finding Range of Projectile Under Air Resistance

1. What factors affect the range of a projectile under air resistance?

The factors that affect the range of a projectile under air resistance are the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance (drag), and the mass and shape of the projectile. These factors can change the trajectory and speed of the projectile, ultimately affecting its range.

2. How does air resistance impact the range of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and slows it down. This can decrease the projectile's range as it requires more energy to overcome the resistance and maintain its speed.

3. Can the range of a projectile under air resistance be calculated accurately?

Yes, the range of a projectile under air resistance can be calculated accurately using mathematical equations and models. However, there may be slight variations due to external factors such as wind speed and direction.

4. How can the range of a projectile under air resistance be increased?

To increase the range of a projectile under air resistance, one can adjust the initial velocity and launch angle to optimize the trajectory. Additionally, using a more aerodynamic and lighter projectile can reduce the impact of air resistance and increase the range.

5. Does air resistance affect the range of a projectile in a vacuum?

No, air resistance does not affect the range of a projectile in a vacuum as there is no air to create drag. In a vacuum, the only factors that affect the range are the initial velocity and launch angle.