Finding q(t) on a capacitor in an RC circuit

In summary, at t=0, the total charge on both capacitors is EMFC_1C_2 / (C_1 + C_2) and the charge on C1 is zero. Kirchoff's rules show that the voltage between the caps is V2. Solving for V2(t) using Q=CV, the charge across C1 is a function of time.
Robert S
The following circuit is given:
[PLAIN]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6369/image2lz.jpg

Switch S is closed until the charge q2 on C2 reaches its maximum, then at t=0 the switch is opened. Find q1(t).

Using Kirchkoff's rules I found:
EMF= (q1)/(C1+I2R
I2R= q2/C2
I1= I2+I3

In order to solve for q1 I need to substitute [itex]I_1=\frac{dq_1}{dt}[/itex] and solve the differential equation. But I need one more equation to eliminate I3 and q2.
I was thinking of relating the charge q2 to the total charge in the circuit, but after some calculation I found that the total charge isn't constant.

At t=0 the total charge q2 on C2 is EMF*C2 and the charge on C1 is zero.
At t=[itex]\inf[/itex] the total charge on both capacitors is [itex]EMFC_1C_2 / (C_1 + C_2)[/itex] (since the current is zero you can combine the two capacitors using [itex] C_3^{-1}=C_1^{-1} + C_2^{-1}[/itex])

any help is appreciated :-)

edit: I tried to put the kirchkoff equations in Latex, but for some reason the rest of the post becomes unreadable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Robert S said:
The following circuit is given:
[PLAIN]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6369/image2lz.jpg

Switch S is closed until the charge q2 on C2 reaches its maximum, then at t=0 the switch is opened. Find q1(t).

EMF= (q1)/(C1+I2R
I2R= q2/C2
I1= I2+I3

In order to solve for q1 I need to substitute [itex]I_1=\frac{dq_1}{dt}[/itex] and solve the differential equation. But I need one more equation to eliminate I3 and q2.
I was thinking of relating the charge q2 to the total charge in the circuit, but after some calculation I found that the total charge isn't constant.

At t=0 the total charge q2 on C2 is EMF*C2 and the charge on C1 is zero.
At t=[itex]\inf[/itex] the total charge on both capacitors is [itex]EMFC_1C_2 / (C_1 + C_2)[/itex] (since the current is zero you can combine the two capacitors using [itex] C_3^{-1}=C_1^{-1} + C_2^{-1}[/itex])

any help is appreciated :-)

edit: I tried to put the kirchkoff equations in Latex, but for some reason the rest of the post becomes unreadable.

I would label the output of the voltage source as V1, and the voltage between the caps as V2. Write the KCL equation at that V2 node, and solve for V2(t). Then use Q=CV to calculate the charge across C1 as a function of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert S said:
EMF= (q1)/(C1+I2R

The correct form is: EMF= q1/C1+I2R

Robert S said:
I2R= q2/C2
I1= I2+I3

You can write the first equation also as EMF=q1/C1+q2/C2, and differentiating it, you get

I1/C1+I3/C2=0

I2 is obtained from the second equation: I2=q2/(C2R)

I3=dq2/dt.

Now you can apply the Nodal Law:

I1=I2+I3

I suggest to solve for q2(t), it is easy to get q1(t) from it.

ehild

I didn't realize I could differentiate one equation to get a new one. Thanks! :-)

Based on the information given, it seems that you are trying to solve for the charge on C1 in an RC circuit with a switch that is initially closed and then opened at t=0. In order to solve for q1, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws and the equations you have already derived. However, as you mentioned, you will need one more equation to eliminate I3 and q2.

One possible way to find this additional equation is to use the conservation of charge in the circuit. Since no charge is added or removed from the circuit, the total charge at any time should remain the same. This means that the sum of the charges on C1 and C2 should be equal to the total charge in the circuit at any given time.

In other words, we can write the equation q1(t) + q2(t) = q_total. Since we know the initial and final values of q2, we can substitute those in and solve for q1. This will give us the additional equation we need to solve the differential equation and find q1(t).

Another approach could be to use the fact that the total current in the circuit is equal to the sum of the currents through each component. This means that I1 = I2 + I3, which can be rewritten as dq1/dt = dq2/dt + dq3/dt. Again, using the initial and final values of q2, we can substitute those in and solve for q1.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Finding q(t) on a capacitor in an RC circuit

What is q(t) on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

q(t) is the charge on a capacitor at a specific point in time in an RC circuit. It is measured in coulombs (C).

How is q(t) calculated in an RC circuit?

q(t) can be calculated using the formula q(t) = Q(1 - e^(-t/RC)), where Q is the maximum charge on the capacitor, t is time, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

What is the significance of q(t) in an RC circuit?

q(t) represents the amount of charge stored on the capacitor at a given time. It is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of the circuit and can be used to calculate other variables such as voltage and current.

How does the value of q(t) change over time in an RC circuit?

At the beginning, q(t) increases rapidly as the capacitor charges up. As time goes on, the rate of increase slows down and eventually reaches a maximum value of Q. After that, q(t) remains constant as the capacitance is fully charged and no more charge is being stored.

Can q(t) be negative in an RC circuit?

No, q(t) cannot be negative in an RC circuit. Charge can only flow in one direction, from the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal. Therefore, q(t) will always be positive or zero.