Finding Probabilities for a Probability Density Function | Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding probabilities using a given distribution function, with a specific focus on finding the probabilities for values less than 3 and between 4 and 5. The individual attempts at solving the problem are described, including the use of the function F(x), the antiderivative of the function, and the concept of cumulative probability. The expert explains that for continuous distribution functions, probabilities of a single point will always be equivalent to probabilities of values less than or equal to that point. However, for distributions with jump discontinuities, this may not be the case. Examples of such distributions are also provided.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

If the distribution function of a random variable is given by
F(x) = 1- 1/x^2 for x>1
and
F(x) = 0 for x <= 1

find the probabilities that this random variable will take on a value
a) less than 3
b) between 4 and 5

The Attempt at a Solution

since they use the capital F i think that means it is a cumulative probability distribution. So in order to find part a) we need to find the cumulative probability that it takes on a value from 3 to infinity and subtract this from 1
the antiderivative of the function for x>1 is

x + 1/x

we need to evaluate this from x=3 to x = infinity
we have
∞ + 1/∞ - (3 + 1/3)
= ∞ + 0 -3 - 1/3
= ∞ - 3.333

I know this can't be right because of the ∞ but I am not sure what I am doing wrong =[ I would appreciate it if someone can't point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
wait a minute. I found in my book that dF(x)/dx = f(x)
so since F(x) = 1 - 1/x^2

f(x) = dF(x)/dx = d/dx(1-1/x^2) = 0 - d/dx(x^-2) = -(-2x^-3) = 2x^-3

so to find the cumulative probability it takes on a value from 3 to ∞ we just plug in
(1- 1/∞^2) - (1-1/3^2)
= (1-0) - (1- 1/9)
= 1 - .888888...
= .111111...
but since we want the probability of the value taking on a value less than 3, we subtract this from 1
so the answer to part a) is .888888
is this right?

toothpaste666 said:
wait a minute. I found in my book that dF(x)/dx = f(x)
so since F(x) = 1 - 1/x^2

f(x) = dF(x)/dx = d/dx(1-1/x^2) = 0 - d/dx(x^-2) = -(-2x^-3) = 2x^-3

so to find the cumulative probability it takes on a value from 3 to ∞ we just plug in
(1- 1/∞^2) - (1-1/3^2)
= (1-0) - (1- 1/9)
= 1 - .888888...
= .111111...
but since we want the probability of the value taking on a value less than 3, we subtract this from 1
so the answer to part a) is .888888
is this right?

Why are you doing it the hard way? You are given the distribution function (= cumulative distribution)
[tex] F(x) = \begin{cases}
0 &\text{if} \;x \leq 1 \\
\displaystyle 1 - \frac{1}{x^2}& \text{if} \;x > 1
\end{cases}
[/tex]
This is ##P(X \leq x)## already, so no more work is needed: ##P(X < 3) = P(X \leq 3) = 1 - 1/9 = 8/9##.

Incidentally, saying that the function must be a cumulative distribution just because it is denoted by "F" is about the worst justification you could possibly offer. It is a (cumulative) distribution function because it is monotone non-decreasing, and has limits of 0 at -∞ and 1 at +∞. Those are essentially the defining properties of a (cumulative) distribution. Besides that, the problem called it a distribution function, and modern usage leans towards omission of the adjective "cumulative" (so that distribution = cumulative distribution often, nowadays).

For the continuous probability distributions, will there ever be a case where P(X<3) is not equivalent to P(X<=3)? or will I always be able to plug it right in like that?

toothpaste666 said:
For the continuous probability distributions, will there ever be a case where P(X<3) is not equivalent to P(X<=3)? or will I always be able to plug it right in like that?

If the (cumulative) distribution function ##F(x)## is continuous, then ##P(X \leq x = P(X < x)## for every ##x##.

Differences come in when the function ##F(x)## has jump discontinuities; this occurs in so-called "mixed" distributions, which describe random variables that are partially continuous and partly discrete. In such cases, the probability of a single point ##P(X = x)## need not be zero anymore, and we have
[tex] P(X = x) = P(X \leq x) - P(X < x) = F(x) - F(x-0). [/tex]
Here, we have adopted the customary convention that ##F(x) = P(X \leq x)## is a right-continuous function (that is, ##\lim_{ y \downarrow x} F(y) = F(x) ##), and ##F(x-0)## is the left-hand limit at ##x##; that is, ##F(x-0) = \lim_{y \uparrow x} F(y)##.

Such cases are NOT unusual or pathological. They occur, for example, when you truncate a random variable to obtain another one, or when the random variable describes, say, an equipment lifetime that may be ##X = 0## if you bought a "lemon", but is otherwise a continuous random variable in the region ##\{ x > 0 \}##. An example of a truncated random variable might be the lifetime of a piece of equipment that we will scrap for sure if it reaches age = 5 years; otherwise, the lifetime might, for example, be exponential with mean 3 years. In this case, the lifetime ##X## would have a cdf with a jump discontinuity at x = 5:
[tex] F_X(x) = \begin{cases} 1 - e^{-x/3}, & x < 5 \\
1, & x \geq 5
\end{cases} [/tex]
Here, ##P(X = 5) = e^{-5/3} = F_X(5) - F_X(5-0)##. Other examples abound.

Likes toothpaste666
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Related to Finding Probabilities for a Probability Density Function | Homework Solution

1. What is a probability density?

A probability density is a function that describes the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a particular value. It is often represented graphically as a curve, with the area under the curve representing the probability of the variable falling within a certain range.

2. How is a probability density different from a probability distribution?

A probability density is a continuous function, while a probability distribution is a discrete function. This means that a probability density can take on any value within a given range, while a probability distribution can only take on specific values.

3. What is the difference between a probability density and a cumulative distribution function?

A probability density describes the likelihood of a single value occurring, while a cumulative distribution function describes the likelihood of a value falling below a certain point. The cumulative distribution function is the integral of the probability density function.

4. How do you calculate the expected value from a probability density?

The expected value, also known as the mean, can be calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its corresponding probability density and summing them together. This gives the average value of the variable.

5. Can a probability density be greater than 1?

No, a probability density cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total area under the curve must equal 1, representing the total probability of the variable. A probability density greater than 1 would imply a probability greater than 100%, which is not possible.