Finding pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of air pressure P in a system with two mercury columns exposed to different pressures. The correct expressions for P are (1) 760 + x and (2) 760 + (50-y). The combination of values consistent with these equations is B. The conversation also clarifies a misunderstanding about the effects of exposure to air on the length of the mercury columns.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

P=hρg

The Attempt at a Solution

The length of mercury column ...
(1) on the left side (exposed to atmosphere) would be ( 760 + x/2 )mm
(2) on the right side (exposed to atmosphere) would be ( 760 + (50-y)/2 )mm
(3) on the left (exposed to air at pressure P) would be ( 760 -x/2) mm
(4) on the right (exposed to air at pressure P) would be ( 760- (50-y)/2 ) mm

By equating (1)=(2) or (3)=(4) ,
x=50-y
A and D are out as x and y does not satisfy this equation.

I chose B as (by assuming from the diagram) x is shorter than y, but I do not know how to calculate the Air pressure P.. Any hints? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The results you obtained under items 1 and 2 are both correct expressions for the pressure P (although the factor of 2 in the denominator should not be in there. Where did that come from?). The results you obtained under items 3 and 4 make no sense to me.
So,

P = 760 + x

and

P = 760 + (50-y)

So which combination of values is consistent with these two equations?

Chestermiller said:
The results you obtained under items 1 and 2 are both correct expressions for the pressure P (although the factor of 2 in the denominator should not be in there. Where did that come from?). The results you obtained under items 3 and 4 make no sense to me.
So,

P = 760 + x

and

P = 760 + (50-y)

So which combination of values is consistent with these two equations?
Oh I see.. B.
Oh I thought that the column (1) exposed to air would increase by x/2, and column (2) exposed to air pressure would decrease by x/2. But I guess it's wrong.
Thanks for the help!

Related to Finding pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury

What is the formula for finding pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury?

The formula for finding pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury is P = (h1 - h2)*13.6, where h1 is the height of the first mercury column and h2 is the height of the second mercury column.

What unit is used to measure pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury?

The unit used to measure pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury is millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or torr.

Why is mercury commonly used in experiments to measure pressure?

Mercury is commonly used in experiments to measure pressure because it has a high density and does not easily react with other substances, making it a reliable and accurate substance for measuring pressure.

How does the height of the mercury columns affect the pressure of air between them?

The height of the mercury columns directly affects the pressure of air between them. As the height difference between the two columns increases, the pressure also increases.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume in this experiment?

In this experiment, pressure and volume have an inverse relationship. As the pressure increases, the volume of air decreases, and vice versa.