Finding Power Series and Radius of Convergence for Indefinite Integral

In summary, the radius of convergence is the absolute value of the given point minus the closest singularity.
jaidon
Evaluate the indefinite integral as a power series and find radius of convergence. (i don't know how to type the integral and summations signs, sorry)

(integral sign) (x-tan^-1x)/x^3 dx. ( if you write this out it makes more sense)

i was able to find the power series of tan^-1x = x^(2n+1) (-1)^n/(2n+1).
i don't know how to continue on with this. all we have learned is to use the power series of the geometric series 1/(1-x), and some integration/differentiation methods.

i am rather confused on the whole topic, so if anyone has any ideas, the simplest explanations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you have the correct power series representation (I'm too lazy to check), the radius of convergence is basically a "circular" area or where the function converges with respect to a given point. In general, the radius of convergence is the absolute value of the given point minus the closest singularity.

For example, "Find the radius of convergence of 1-sin(x)/ cos(x) evaluated at x=1". The given point is x=1 and the nearest singularity is x=0, because the denominator cannot be 0. Then, the radius of convergence is abs(1-0) which equals 1.

Another way to find the radius of convergence involves something along the lines of the limit as n approaches infinity evaluated for A(n) / A(n+1). So basically, it's the actual power series divided by the power series again, but replacing each "n" with "n+1". Most terms will cancel out in this way and you'll end up with the same answer as using the technique shown above.

Tim Nguyen

the problem is that i only know how to get the power series rep for the arctan x part of the integral. i can't figure out how to get the representation for the whole thing. once i have that sorted out, the radius of convergence should be simple. any advice on how to solve the rest of the integral?

Related to Finding Power Series and Radius of Convergence for Indefinite Integral

What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, each containing a power of the independent variable.

What is the general form of a power series representation?

The general form of a power series representation is ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are coefficients, x is the independent variable, and a is a constant.

What is the radius of convergence in a power series representation?

The radius of convergence in a power series representation is the distance from the center of the series (a) to the nearest point where the series is undefined.

How is a power series representation used to approximate a function?

A power series representation can be used to approximate a function by truncating the series at a finite number of terms. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function.

What is the difference between a power series representation and a Taylor series representation?

A power series representation is a more general form, where the center (a) and coefficients (cn) can be any values. A Taylor series representation is a specific form of a power series, where the center is always at 0 and the coefficients are determined by the derivatives of the function at that point.