Finding potential U from sum of forces F

In summary: F}=2axy+by^2+6cz## is conservative, and if so, how to find the potential associated with it. He also asks about the work done by the force as the particle moves from the origin at x0, y0, z0. Chet suggests using the work integral for all three components, and asks if the potential can be treated as a vector.
Geranimo
< Mentor Note -- Thread moved to Homework Help from technical Physics forum >

Hi, I had an exam and I had this question:

A force acts on a particle of mass m, and its components are:

Fx = 2axy + by2 + 6cz
Fy = ax2 + 2byx
Fz = 6cx

a) Does this force is conservative? Show your calculations.
b) Find the potential associated with this force. (this one cause me trouble)
c) Calculate the work done by the force when the particle moves from the origin
at x0, y0, z0.

For a) we need to verify that F x ∇U is zero,

but for b) I don't know if I had to use (minus) the work integral or F = -∇U

c) One only had to apply the work integral to the 3 components.

Also, does U works like vectors? I mean, in b) can I do 3 work integrals for x,y,z and sum back? Or I need to integrate the 3 forms of F = -∇U?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you dot the equation ##\vec{F}=-\vec{∇} {U}## by the differential position vector ##\vec{ds}=\vec{i}_x dx+\vec{i}_y dy+\vec{i}_z dz##? What does the right hand side look like?

Chet

Related to Finding potential U from sum of forces F

1. How do I find the potential U from a given sum of forces F?

To find the potential U from a sum of forces F, you can use the following equation: U = -∫Fdx, where ∫ represents the integral and dx is the displacement. This equation is based on the principle of work and energy, where the potential energy is equal to the negative of the work done by the force.

2. Can I find the potential U if there are multiple forces acting on an object?

Yes, you can still find the potential U even if there are multiple forces acting on an object. In this case, you would need to find the net force acting on the object and then use the same equation as mentioned in the previous answer to calculate the potential energy.

3. Is potential U always negative?

No, potential U can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the force is acting in the same direction as the displacement, the potential U will be negative. If the force is acting in the opposite direction, the potential U will be positive.

4. What is the unit of potential U?

The unit of potential U is joules (J) in the SI system. This is because potential energy is a form of energy, and energy is measured in joules.

5. How is finding potential U useful in science?

Finding potential U is useful in science because it helps us understand the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is also an important concept in various fields of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It allows us to predict and analyze the motion and interactions of objects in different systems.