Finding potential inside the cavity of a Conductor

In summary, the question asks for the potential of an electric field in a spherical cavity containing a point charge. The suggested method of solving this problem is using Poisson's equation and the method of images. The solution is found to be V(r) = q(1/r-1/a)/4πε+V, where r is the distance from the point charge.
xcgirl

Homework Statement

A conductor, maintained at a potential V, contains a spherical cavity of radius R.
A point charge q is placed at a distance a ( a < R)from the center of the cavity.
Find the potential of the electric field in the cavity .

Homework Equations

I was considering using Poisson's Equation because we recently did that in class. Also, we are learning about the method of images right now. I am really unsure of where to start with this problem. I did another problem successfully that had 2 point charges above an infinite conductor and I simply replicated the opposite of those charges the same distance below the conductor and used the method of images to find the force on one of the charges. But, this problem is asking for potential, not force and the sphere cavity thing makes it weird for me. I don't even know where to start. Any hints would be helpful :\

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a simple boundary value problem (of the Dirichlet type) where one seeks a function obeying Poisson's equation in the spherical cavity and taking the constant value V on its boundary. If you can find such a function, you're done. This problem is designed to make it especially easy and you can check that V(r) = q(1/r-1/a)/4πε+V is the solution, where r is the distance from the point charge q.

Related to Finding potential inside the cavity of a Conductor

1. What is the purpose of finding potential inside the cavity of a conductor?

The purpose of finding potential inside the cavity of a conductor is to understand the distribution of electric charges within the conductor. This information can be used to determine the electric field and the behavior of the charges inside the conductor.

2. How is the potential inside the cavity of a conductor calculated?

The potential inside the cavity of a conductor is calculated using the boundary conditions at the interface between the conductor and the surrounding medium. This includes the continuity of the electric field and the potential at the interface.

3. Can the potential inside the cavity of a conductor be negative?

Yes, the potential inside the cavity of a conductor can be negative. This can occur if there are excess negative charges present inside the conductor, which can create a negative potential. However, the potential will always be higher at the outer surface of the conductor compared to the inner surface.

4. How does the shape of the conductor affect the potential inside the cavity?

The shape of the conductor can affect the potential inside the cavity in two ways. First, the shape can affect the distribution of charges inside the conductor, which in turn affects the potential. Second, the shape can also affect the boundary conditions at the interface, leading to different potential distributions.

5. What are some applications of finding potential inside the cavity of a conductor?

One common application of finding potential inside the cavity of a conductor is in the design of capacitors. The potential inside the cavity of a capacitor determines its capacitance, which is an important factor in their usage in electrical circuits. The potential inside the cavity can also be used in the study of electromagnetic shielding and the behavior of antennas.