FInding Points of Tangent Line w/ Vectors

In summary, to find the points where the tangent plane to the ellipsoid 4x^2+2y^2+z^2 = 19 is parallel to the plane 2y−8x+z = 0, we first need to find the normal vectors to both surfaces. This can be done by taking the partial derivatives of the ellipsoid equation and setting them equal to the coefficients of the plane equation. Next, we need to set the two normal vectors in the same ratio to each other to ensure parallelism. Finally, we can plug in the resulting values for x/z and y/z into the original ellipsoid equation to find the points on the actual ellipse.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Consider the ellipsoid 4x^2+2y^2+z^2 = 19. Find all the points where the tangent plane to this ellipsoid is parallel to the plane 2y−8x+z = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the normal vector to the tangent, <8x,4y,2z>.

I also found the normal vector to the plane, <-8,2,1>

So what step do I do next? I'm Confused on where to go after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Loppyfoot! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Loppyfoot said:
So I found the normal vector to the tangent, <8x,4y,2z>.

I also found the normal vector to the plane, <-8,2,1>

So what step do I do next? I'm Confused on where to go after this.

But you're there!

Just make the two parallel (ie in the same ratios), to find an equation for x/z and y/z, and then put them into the original ellipse equation to find the points on the actual ellipse. :smile:

Related to FInding Points of Tangent Line w/ Vectors

1. What are points of tangent line?

Points of tangent line are the points on a curve where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the curve at that point. In other words, they are points where the curve and the tangent line touch and have the same direction.

2. How do vectors help in finding points of tangent line?

Vectors can be used to represent the slope of the curve and the slope of the tangent line at a given point. By finding the intersection of these two vectors, we can determine the point of tangent line on the curve.

3. What is the process for finding points of tangent line with vectors?

The process involves finding the derivative of the curve at a given point, which represents the slope of the curve. Then, using the same point as a starting point, another vector is created to represent the slope of the tangent line. The point of tangent line is then found by finding the intersection of these two vectors.

4. Are there any limitations to using vectors for finding points of tangent line?

One limitation is that the curve must be differentiable at the given point in order for the derivative to exist. Additionally, the accuracy of the result depends on the precision of the vectors used.

5. Can finding points of tangent line with vectors be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, this method can be applied to any differentiable curve, as long as the necessary vectors can be created to represent the slope of the curve and the slope of the tangent line at a given point.