Finding Perpendicular Vector and Area of Triangle Using Cross Product

In summary, the problem is to find a vector N that is perpendicular to a plane determined by three points and the area of the triangle formed by these points. The cross product of two vectors can be used to find the perpendicular vector, and the magnitude of the cross product can be used to find the area of the triangle. It is important to remember the relationship between the magnitude of the cross product and the area of the parallelagram spanned by the two vectors.
meadow
I am having trouble setting this problem up.
The problem says: Find a vector N that is perpendicular to the plane determined by the points P(0,1,0), Q(-1,1,2), R(2,1,-1), and find the area of triangle PQR.

I know that the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to the plane of a and b, so do I just cross the three vectors. I tried PxQ and then (PxQ)xR, but I didn't get the correct answer.

Also, how would you find the area of the triangle? I tried finding the distance of PQ and PR, multipying and dividing by 2, but I still didn't get the correct answer.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
meadow said:
I am having trouble setting this problem up.
The problem says: Find a vector N that is perpendicular to the plane determined by the points P(0,1,0), Q(-1,1,2), R(2,1,-1), and find the area of triangle PQR.

I know that the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to the plane of a and b, so do I just cross the three vectors. I tried PxQ and then (PxQ)xR, but I didn't get the correct answer.

Also, how would you find the area of the triangle? I tried finding the distance of PQ and PR, multipying and dividing by 2, but I still didn't get the correct answer.

Any help?
P,Q, and R are points, not vectors. You could find vectors in this plane by looking at the vectors that begin at one of these points and end at another. [itex]\vec{(P-Q)}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{(R-Q)}[/itex] would do. Then take the cross product. As per the area of the triangle, do you remember that the magnitude of the cross product is the area of the parallelagram spanned by the two vectors? What is half of this parallelagram?

thank you

thank you.
i was able to do the rest of the problems:)

thanks again.

Related to Finding Perpendicular Vector and Area of Triangle Using Cross Product

What is the cross product in Calculus 3?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the volume of a parallelepiped.

How do you calculate the cross product?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you must first find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix using the components of the two vectors. The resulting vector will have three components, representing the x, y, and z coordinates of the cross product. The formula for calculating the cross product is:

a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2)i + (a3b1 - a1b3)j + (a1b2 - a2b1)k

What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product has a geometric interpretation as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors. The direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to this parallelogram and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the first vector, and your index finger in the direction of the second vector, the cross product will point in the direction of your middle finger.

What is the difference between the dot product and the cross product?

The dot product and the cross product are both mathematical operations that involve vectors, but they have different meanings and results. The dot product of two vectors produces a scalar, or a single number, while the cross product produces a vector. The dot product represents the projection of one vector onto another, while the cross product represents the area of a parallelogram or the volume of a parallelepiped.

How is the cross product used in Calculus 3?

In Calculus 3, the cross product is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the volume of a parallelepiped, which are important concepts in multivariable calculus. It is also used in vector calculus to calculate line and surface integrals, and in physics to calculate torque and angular momentum. Understanding the cross product is essential for solving problems in these fields.