Finding Penetration Depth in a finite well

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 50-eV electron trapped between capacitors charged to 200V. The person asking for help has read the assigned text but cannot solve the problem. Another person suggests reading the manual, which is seen as a rude comment. The problem is eventually solved by multiplying the potential difference across the capacitors by the elementary charge. The conversation ends with both individuals discussing their studies and finding a solution together.
JasonZ
The problem is as follows:

A 50-eV electron is trapped between negligible-width capacitors charged to 200V (each with an exit hole). How far does its wave function extend beyond the capacitors? I know the answer is 1.6 x 10^-11 m, but I cannot get to that.

Any ideas?

-Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
A person who is clever than you is only a few pages ahead in the manual, simply read the manual, so you won't have to ask twice...

Hey,

I am not sure if you were trying to come off as rude, but that's how it sure seems. By manual I assume you mean the text I am getting my problem from? If that's the case, I have read the chapter on my own, as well as looked over the section this problem is from several times and I can't get it. Supposing I am not as clever as you, perhaps you could give me a useful hint, rather than condescend.

*Edit*

I managed to come to the correct answer, though I am not sure why exactly my last step worked. Apparently I had to multiply the 200V, and the 50 eV by the elementary charge (e). I understand why I multiplied 50 eV by e, but can somene explain why I needed to multiply 200 V, by e? I think it has to do with 200 V being the potential difference across the capacitors, whereas I need the Potential Energy. I am not fresh on E&M, can someone verify that step as correct?

Thank you,
-Jason

Last edited:
Jason, I too am new to PF, and meant no offence.

Its not users like myself you have to be worried about, its the PF monitors.

They don't mind if you show how you tried to solve a problem, everyone is willing to advise and assist...

What are you studying and look it up myself, to see if I can find us an answer for us both.

Regards

Terry

Related to Finding Penetration Depth in a finite well

1. What is a "finite well" in the context of finding penetration depth?

A finite well refers to a potential well that is not infinitely deep, meaning that the potential energy decreases to zero at a finite distance.

2. How is the penetration depth defined?

The penetration depth is defined as the distance from the edge of the well to the point where the wave function decays to a certain percentage of its initial value. This percentage is typically chosen to be 5% or 10%.

3. What is the importance of finding the penetration depth in a finite well?

Finding the penetration depth allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a potential well, as well as the probability of finding a particle at a certain distance from the well. This information is crucial in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

4. How is the penetration depth calculated?

The penetration depth can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a potential well. This equation takes into account the energy of the particle, the shape of the potential well, and other factors to determine the penetration depth.

5. Can the penetration depth be experimentally measured?

Yes, the penetration depth can be measured experimentally by analyzing the behavior of particles in a potential well. This can be done through various techniques such as scattering experiments or tunneling measurements. These experimental results can then be compared to the theoretical calculations to validate the accuracy of the model.