Finding Normal Vector to Plane at Intersection Point for HeNe Laser Beam Path

In summary, the conversation is about finding the incident plane for a HeNe laser beam passing through two prisms using Snell's law. The person is stuck on finding the normal vector to the surface at the point of intersection, but has the equation of the angled surface and the point of intersection. They are looking for the unique vector perpendicular to the plane at the point of intersection and are trying to avoid converting to Cartesian coordinates. Suggestions are given for obtaining the normal vector by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors on the plane and making appropriate sign changes. It is also mentioned that converting to Cartesian coordinates would make the process easier.
cfphys
I'm working on tracing the beam path of a HeNe laser through two prisms, and I'm stuck on trying to find the incident plane in which to use Snell's law.

Basically I have the equation of the angled surface of the prism, and I have the point where the beam intersects that plane. Now I need the normal vector to the surface at that intersection point, and then I can define the incident plane from the two vectors (the normal at that point and the vector that is the incident beam).

The problem I can't figure out is how to get the specific vector perpendicular to the plane at the point of intersection. All the textbooks I've looked at have the "opposite" of what I need, because they assume I have both the normal and the point and want the plane, whereas I have the point and plane but want the normal. And I can't simply use that method to solve for the normal because it has a dot product that I can't undo.

Also, this is in cylindrical coordinates, and if I can avoid the conversion to Cartesian that would relieve at least some of my headache!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the equation of the plane, you should be able to obtain 3 points on the plane and create 2 vectors (non parallel), take the cross product of those and you'll get the normal vector to that plane.

Thanks PiTHON

Right, but that gives me the entire family of normal vectors that satisfies the condition of being perpendicular to the surface.

I have one specific point on the plane, and through that point there is a unique vector perpendicular to the plane. That's the vector I'm looking for.

Oh, I'm sure I'm ignorant of the relevant math/physics, I just learned the cross product about a week ago and was excited to see its use.

I would think the general normal vector and the incident vector would allow you to get the incident plane since the formulas place their tails at the same origin, right? Then you can use the dot product of the same vectors to finish snells law, use the refracted angle to create a family of vectors in the same plane, and use a position vector to select the vector that's at the point you need relative to whatever origin is defining the point in question.

It kinda makes sense to me, sorry if I'm way off though hehe, just trying to learn a thing or two. I'll stop cluttering your thread since I don't have a direct answer, hopefully someone comes by that does.

cfphys said:
Thanks PiTHON

Right, but that gives me the entire family of normal vectors that satisfies the condition of being perpendicular to the surface.

I have one specific point on the plane, and through that point there is a unique vector perpendicular to the plane. That's the vector I'm looking for.

Shouldn't all points on the face have the same surface normal vector?

JDługosz said:
Shouldn't all points on the face have the same surface normal vector?

If it is a plane, yes. However, if the surface is not a plane then he would need to choose two vectors that originate at the point of interest. The process does not change though and taking the cross product should work. Of course there are two possible normal directions and he should make the appropriate sign change to get the one of interest.

cfphys said:
Basically I have the equation of the angled surface of the prism, and I have the point where the beam intersects that plane. Now I need the normal vector to the surface at that intersection point, and then I can define the incident plane from the two vectors (the normal at that point and the vector that is the incident beam).
If you have the equation of a plane,
Ax + By + Cz = D,​
then the normal to the plane is the vector (A,B,C)

EDIT: just noticed this:
cfphys said:
Also, this is in cylindrical coordinates, and if I can avoid the conversion to Cartesian that would relieve at least some of my headache!
Since it's such a trivial matter once you are in Cartesian coordinates, I think that is the best way to go. And once you've written the subroutine to convert the coordinates, you don't have to worry about it any more.

Related to Finding Normal Vector to Plane at Intersection Point for HeNe Laser Beam Path

1. How do you find the normal vector to a plane at an intersection point?

To find the normal vector to a plane at an intersection point, you can use the cross product between two vectors that lie on the plane. These vectors can be found by taking two points on the plane and subtracting them to get a vector that lies on the plane. Then, you can take the cross product of these two vectors to find the normal vector.

2. Why is it important to find the normal vector at an intersection point for a HeNe laser beam path?

The normal vector at an intersection point for a HeNe laser beam path is important because it tells us the direction in which the beam is reflecting off the plane. This information is crucial in understanding the path of the laser beam and predicting where it will hit next.

3. What is the significance of using a HeNe laser beam in this scenario?

A HeNe laser beam is commonly used in this scenario because it emits a single wavelength of light that is highly coherent and easily detectable. This makes it ideal for tracking and analyzing the path of the beam as it reflects off different surfaces.

4. Can the normal vector change at different intersection points along the laser beam path?

Yes, the normal vector can change at different intersection points along the laser beam path. This is because the plane and the angle of incidence of the laser beam may vary at different points, leading to a different normal vector at each intersection point.

5. How does finding the normal vector help in determining the angle of reflection for the laser beam?

Finding the normal vector at an intersection point is essential in determining the angle of reflection for the laser beam. This is because the angle of reflection is equal to the angle between the incident ray and the normal vector. By knowing the normal vector, we can calculate the angle of reflection and predict the path of the laser beam.