Finding Momentum Density in Dirac Field

This results in the expression G which can be written using the commutation relations for the matrices alpha_k. This momentum density has not been seen before. In summary, to find the momentum density in the Dirac field, you can use the real Lagrangian density and Noether's theorem. This will result in an expression, G, which can be written using the commutation relations for the matrices alpha_k. This momentum density has not been seen before.
da_willem
How can I find the momentum density in the dirac field? Can someone show me, tell me how or give me a reference?

Preferably not in relativistically covariant notation; I found this expression for the momentum density G, and want to know where it comes from:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\frac{\hbar}{4i}[\psi^\dagger \nabla \psi + \psi^\dagger \mathbf{\alpha} (\mathbf{\alpha} \cdot \nabla)\psi]+hc [/tex]

with hc the hermitian conjugate of teh expression. This can be written using the commutation relations for the matrices [itex]\alpha_k[/itex]:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\frac{\hbar}{2i}[\psi^\dagger \nabla \psi -(\nabla \psi ^\dagger)\psi]+\frac{\hbar}{4}\nabla \times (\psi^\dagger \mathbf{\sigma} \psi)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody has ever seen this before?

da_willem said:
How can I find the momentum density in the dirac field? Can someone show me, tell me how or give me a reference?

U use the real Lagrangian density of the DIrac field and the expression for the momentum density given by Noether's theorem.

Related to Finding Momentum Density in Dirac Field

1. What is momentum density in Dirac field?

Momentum density in Dirac field refers to the distribution of momentum values in a system described by the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic quantum field theory that describes the behavior of fermions such as electrons. It is a vector quantity that describes the flow of momentum in a particular direction.

2. How is momentum density in Dirac field calculated?

The momentum density in Dirac field is calculated using the Dirac equation, which is a first-order partial differential equation that describes the dynamics of fermionic fields. The equation involves the use of spinor fields and their derivatives to calculate the momentum density at a particular point in space and time.

3. What is the significance of momentum density in Dirac field?

Momentum density in Dirac field is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fermionic particles at a quantum level. It is a fundamental quantity in quantum field theory and is used to calculate many physical properties, such as particle scattering and energy density.

4. How is momentum density in Dirac field related to momentum in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, momentum is a vector quantity that describes the motion of a particle. In quantum field theory, momentum density in Dirac field is the quantum equivalent of momentum and describes the distribution of momentum values in a system. Both quantities are related through mathematical equations and can be used to make predictions about particle behavior.

5. Can momentum density in Dirac field be directly measured?

No, momentum density in Dirac field cannot be measured directly as it is a quantum mechanical property. However, its effects can be observed and measured through various experiments and calculations, providing valuable insights into the behavior of particles at a quantum level.