Finding Moments of a Beam: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in static equilibrium and the use of equations to find the values of Fay and Fby. The initial calculation for Fay resulted in a negative value, indicating a mistake in the direction of the force. After realizing the mistake, the correct values for Fay and Fby were determined. The conversation emphasizes the importance of being careful and paying attention to plus and minus signs in calculations.
Spakfilla
hfhfhf.jpg

Homework Statement

Find the Fay this is static equilibrium so ƩF=0 and ƩM=0

Homework Equations

ƩMa=0
= 2x5 + (-4x25) + (2Fby)
Fby= 45 Newtons
Using ƩFy we get Fay= impossible!

Now if take the moment about point B i get
ƩMb=0
= (4x5)+(-2x25)+2Fay
Fay = 15kN
Using ƩFy we get Fby=15Kn
Can someone tell me where i went wrong please?? I just don't get it

Physics news on Phys.org
Spakfilla said:
View attachment 45438

Homework Statement

Find the Fay this is static equilibrium so ƩF=0 and ƩM=0

Homework Equations

ƩMa=0
= 2x5 + (-4x25) + (2Fby)
Fby= 45 Newtons
Using ƩFy we get Fay= impossible!
not impossible, you get a negative value for Fay; what does that imply about the direction of Fay?
Now if take the moment about point B i get
ƩMb=0
= (4x5)+(-2x25)+2Fay
Fay = 15kN
what is its direction?
Using ƩFy we get Fby=15Kn
No, watch plus and minus signs and their meaning.

Thanks so much I now see my mistake. Got the directions mixed up! Damn got to be more careful

Related to Finding Moments of a Beam: Where Did I Go Wrong?

1. What is the definition of a moment in the context of a beam?

A moment in the context of a beam is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation about a specific point on the beam. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you calculate the moment of a beam?

The moment of a beam can be calculated by summing the moments of all the external forces acting on the beam. This can be done using the equation M = F * d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

3. What are the units of moment in a beam?

The units of moment in a beam are newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and pound-feet (lb*ft) in the US customary system.

4. How does the shape of a beam affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a beam is directly affected by its shape. A beam with a larger cross-sectional area will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore a higher resistance to bending. A beam with a more complex shape, such as an I-beam, will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a simple rectangular beam of the same size.

5. Can moments of a beam be negative?

Yes, moments of a beam can be negative. This occurs when the force and the distance are in opposite directions, creating a clockwise moment. Negative moments can also occur if the beam is in a state of compression, as this creates a compressive force that acts in the opposite direction to the applied force, resulting in a negative moment.