Finding minimum push force for a table

In summary, the question provides information about the coefficient of static friction and kinetic friction between a 20kg table and the floor. The problem asks for the minimum push force required to move the table and the push force required to accelerate it at 2.5 m/s^2. To solve the problem, it is recommended to draw a free body diagram (FBD) and consider all the forces acting on the table, such as the pushing force, the retarding friction force, and the weight of the table. The coefficient of static friction should be used for the first part of the problem when the table is not moving, while the coefficient of kinetic friction should be used for the moving part of the question.
leahbender

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between a static friction and a 20kg table and the floor is 0.29. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the same surfaces is 0.25.
How much minimum push force is required to get the table moving?
How much push force is required to accelerate the table at 2.5 m/s^2?

Homework Equations

w=mg
fk=muk+fn

The Attempt at a Solution

w=20*9.8
w= 196
At this point I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with the problem to find push force. I would appreciate any help greatly!

Physics news on Phys.org
leahbender said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between a static friction and a 20kg table and the floor is 0.29. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the same surfaces is 0.25.
How much minimum push force is required to get the table moving?
How much push force is required to accelerate the table at 2.5 m/s^2?

Homework Equations

w=mg
fk=muk+fn

The Attempt at a Solution

w=20*9.8
w= 196
At this point I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with the problem to find push force. I would appreciate any help greatly!

Welcome to the PF.

In problems like this, it is usually best to start by drawing a free body diagram (FBD), showing the forces on the object being moved.

On your FBD, be sure to show all vertical and horizontal forces on the table, including the pushing force, the retarding friction force, and the weight of the table. Which version of the friction coefficient should you use for the first part of the problem when the table is not moving? What about for the moving part of the question?

Related to Finding minimum push force for a table

1. What is the minimum push force needed to move a table?

The minimum push force needed to move a table depends on several factors, such as the weight of the table, the type of surface it is on, and the coefficient of friction between the table and the surface. It is not a fixed value and can vary in different situations.

2. How can I determine the minimum push force for a specific table?

To determine the minimum push force for a specific table, you will need to know its weight and the coefficient of friction between the table and the surface it is on. From there, you can use the equation F = μN, where F is the minimum push force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the table).

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the minimum push force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless value, typically denoted by the symbol μ. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the minimum push force needed to move an object along that surface.

4. Can I use the same minimum push force for all types of tables?

No, the minimum push force needed to move a table can vary depending on its weight, surface, and coefficient of friction. Therefore, the same minimum push force cannot be used for all types of tables.

5. Is there a way to reduce the minimum push force needed to move a table?

There are a few ways to reduce the minimum push force needed to move a table. One way is to decrease the weight of the table, such as by removing items from it. Another way is to increase the coefficient of friction between the table and the surface it is on, such as by using a non-slip mat or adding rubber pads to the table legs.