Finding middle group in short exact sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve problems involving short exact sequences and determine the middle group without knowing any of the maps. It is mentioned that in general there are infinitely many groups that can go in the middle, and these are in one to one correspondence with elements of Ext^1(Z_4,Z). It is suggested to compute this Ext group by looking at the long exact sequence of cohomology groups or constructing resolutions. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the middle group being Z or ZxZ/4, and mentions that there could be other solutions as well.
wodhas
Hi,

Is there any method by which problems involve short exact sequences can be solved.

For example, if I have :

0->Z->A->Z_4->0

how can I decide what is the middle group without knowing any of the maps

Thanks!
S.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, by the first isomorphism theorem, we have, modulo isomorphisms, that A/Z = Z_4. So if you can find a group having Z as a subgroup and such that when quotiented by Z gives Z_4, then A will be isomorphic to that...

0->Z->A->Z_4->0

Then A is called an extension of Z by Z_4 ... one example is the product Z x Z_4, but there could be others as well. The collection of all such extensions is sometimes given some structure and made into an algebraic object itself ... look up Ext and Tor I don't remember the details.

wodhas said:
Hi,

Is there any method by which problems involve short exact sequences can be solved.

For example, if I have :

0->Z->A->Z_4->0

how can I decide what is the middle group without knowing any of the maps

Thanks!
S.

In general you can not tell. But you can narrow down the possibilities. As other replies pointed out the middle group in your example could be Z or it could be ZxZ/4.

In general there are infinitely many groups that can go in the middle of a short exact sequence. In fact they are in one to one correspondence with elements of Ext^1(Z_4,Z) (which is an Abelian group). Now if this Ext group is zero, then you know for sure, the middle term must be ZxZ/4, otherwise there are many more possibilities. To compute this Ext^1 group look at the long exact sequence of cohomology groups arising from your short exact sequence or try to construct some resolutions. I'm not sure how hard either one of those tasks are in practice.(If you aren't sure what that means I recommend looking it up Ext on wikipedia)

Tzar said:
In general there are infinitely many groups that can go in the middle of a short exact sequence. In fact they are in one to one correspondence with elements of Ext^1(Z_4,Z) (which is an Abelian group). Now if this Ext group is zero, then you know for sure, the middle term must be ZxZ/4, otherwise there are many more possibilities. To compute this Ext^1 group look at the long exact sequence of cohomology groups arising from your short exact sequence or try to construct some resolutions. I'm not sure how hard either one of those tasks are in practice.(If you aren't sure what that means I recommend looking it up Ext on wikipedia)

Can you give me five other possibilities?

Related to Finding middle group in short exact sequence

What is a short exact sequence?

A short exact sequence is a sequence of objects and morphisms in a category where each object is connected by a unique morphism to the next object in the sequence. This means that the image of each morphism is equal to the kernel of the next morphism, resulting in a chain of exactness.

What is the middle group in a short exact sequence?

The middle group in a short exact sequence is the object that is sandwiched between the other two objects in the sequence. It is also known as the "kernel factor" or "cokernel factor".

How do you find the middle group in a short exact sequence?

To find the middle group in a short exact sequence, you first need to identify the objects and morphisms in the sequence. Then, you can use the mathematical definition of exactness to determine which object is the kernel of the next object and which object is the image of the previous object. The object that satisfies both of these conditions is the middle group.

Why is finding the middle group important in short exact sequences?

The middle group is important in short exact sequences because it helps to bridge the gap between the two other objects in the sequence. It provides a way to connect the two objects and understand their relationship in a more precise and mathematical way.

What are some applications of finding the middle group in short exact sequences?

Finding the middle group in short exact sequences has many applications in mathematics and science. It is commonly used in algebraic topology, homological algebra, and group theory to study the structure and properties of various mathematical objects. It also has applications in physics, computer science, and other fields where exact sequences and group theory are used.