Finding Matrix D Without Calculating P Inverse: Help Appreciated!

In summary, the conversation is about determining a diagonal matrix D using a matrix P without calculating the inverse of P. The main diagonal of D is made up of the eigenvalues of A, while the other entries are zeros. The columns of P are the eigenvectors of A in the same order as the corresponding eigenvalues used in D.
tomc612
Hi,
got a question I'm stuck on..

Write down a matrix P which will diagonalise A and write down the corresponding
diagonal matrix D, where D = P^-􀀀1AP. You do not have to calculate P^-1

Ive got all the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for A, and thus have the Matrix P, which has a determinant of -12 and thus P^-1 exists.

Question is how to do you determine D without calculating the inverse of P?

Any help appreciated

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
tomc612 said:
Hi,
got a question I'm stuck on..

Write down a matrix P which will diagonalise A and write down the corresponding
diagonal matrix D, where D = P^-􀀀1AP. You do not have to calculate P^-1

Ive got all the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for A, and thus have the Matrix P, which has a determinant of -12 and thus P^-1 exists.

Question is how to do you determine D without calculating the inverse of P?

Any help appreciated

Tom
The entries on the main diagonal of $D$ are the eigenvalues of $A$. All the other entries in $D$ are zeros.

When you wrote down the matrix $P$, its columns were the eigenvectors of $A$ (in some order). When you write the diagonal elements of $D$, you should use the corresponding eigenvalues in the same order.

I am surprised that tomc612 would be given a problem like this if he had not already learned everything Opalg said!

Related to Finding Matrix D Without Calculating P Inverse: Help Appreciated!

1. How can I find matrix D without calculating P inverse?

One way to find matrix D without calculating P inverse is by using the LU decomposition method. This involves decomposing matrix P into a lower triangular matrix L and an upper triangular matrix U. Then, matrix D can be calculated using the formula D = U^-1 * P * L^-1.

2. What is the advantage of finding matrix D without calculating P inverse?

The advantage of finding matrix D without calculating P inverse is that it reduces the computational complexity and time required. In some cases, calculating P inverse can be difficult or even impossible, making this method a more feasible option.

3. Can I use a different method to find matrix D?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find matrix D. Some examples include using the Cholesky decomposition, QR decomposition, or eigenvalue decomposition. The choice of method may depend on the size and properties of the matrix P.

4. What are the limitations of finding matrix D without calculating P inverse?

One limitation is that this method may not be applicable to all matrices. If P is singular or close to being singular, then finding D without calculating P inverse may not be possible. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the rounding errors involved in the decomposition process.

5. Can I use this method for any type of matrix P?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of matrix P, including square, rectangular, and singular matrices. However, as mentioned earlier, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the properties of the matrix P.