Finding mass of an object being pulled on a slope

• Thread starter NostNagalfar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Slope
In summary: In a PM, sure, you can tell me "Fn is the normal force acting on the girl" but that is not possible in this thread.
NostNagalfar

Homework Statement

A girl of mass mg = 52 kg is pulling a sled up a slippery slope. The coefficient of friction between the girl's boots and the slope is µs = 0.157; the friction between the sled and the slope is negligible. The girl can pull the sled up the slope with a ≤ a max = 0.015 m/s2 before she begins to slip. Assume the rope connecting the girl to the sled is kept parallel to the slope at all times. The angle of the slope is θ = 8°.

ONYxHIM.png

Homework Equations

(All below)

The Attempt at a Solution

Net Force on girl:

T=mg(a+gsin(8)+Us(gcos(8))
T=52(((0.015+(9.8sin8)+(0.157)(9.8)(cos8))
T=150.9N

Net Force on sled:

ma=T-mgsin8
m(a+gsin8)=T
m= (150.9)/(0.015+9.8sin8)
m= 109.5 kg

It's wrong. Anything I did wrong? Appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check the signs in your equations.

Orodruin said:
You might want to check the signs in your equations.

Should I be subtracting the first part so

T=mg(a+gsin(8)-Us(gcos(8))

I really am lost now.

So go back to Newton's second law. What does it tell you?

Edit: You also have a g too much multiplying that parenthesis.

Orodruin said:
So go back to Newton's second law. What does it tell you?

Edit: You also have a g too much multiplying that parenthesis.

a=Fnet/m I don't know where to go from here. I already broke into FBD and tried to solve it already. When I redid it I ended up with the same thing.

Oh, that g is a typo so it's not affecting my current calculation.

NostNagalfar said:
Oh, that g is a typo so it's not affecting my current calculation.

There it is again ...

NostNagalfar said:
I broke into FBD and tried to solve it already.
Yes, this is a good way to go. So which forces act on the girl (along the slope direction) and in which direction do they act? Which direction do you define as positive? Uphill or downhill?

Orodruin said:
There it is again ...Yes, this is a good way to go. So which forces act on the girl (along the slope direction) and in which direction do they act? Which direction do you define as positive? Uphill or downhill?

T=m(a+gsin(8)-Us(gcos(8)) my bad.

In the y-direction there is a component of weight and also the normal force. positive would be uphill. so the component of weight is negative and the normal force would be positive. Now I get: Fny=m(a+gcos8) so here I would subtract the x component? adding sounds more correct.

You are trying to go too fast and somehow mess up. You have not said what your "y-direction" is and we are not mind readers. You have also not defined Fny.

Write down, in turn and for each force acting on the girl: 1) The kind of force. 2) Its magnitude. 3) Its direction along the slope.

It will help you organize yourself to write these things down.

Orodruin said:
You are trying to go too fast and somehow mess up. You have not said what your "y-direction" is and we are not mind readers. You have also not defined Fny.

Write down, in turn and for each force acting on the girl: 1) The kind of force. 2) Its magnitude. 3) Its direction along the slope.

It will help you organize yourself to write these things down.

I have written it down, the y direction would be the direction of Fn in this case.

But thanks for the help, I'll do it later. No need to reply after this.

NostNagalfar said:
I have written it down, the y direction would be the direction of Fn in this case.
No you have not. How are we supposed to help you figure out where you went wrong when you refuse to show how you have been thinking? To tell me that you have it written down on a paper tells me absolutely nothing about how you have been thinking with respect to the actual problem.
You also cannot say "the direction of Fn" without defining in thread what Fn is.

Related to Finding mass of an object being pulled on a slope

1. How do you find the mass of an object being pulled on a slope?

To find the mass of an object being pulled on a slope, you will need to use the equation F = ma, where F is the force of the object, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You will also need to know the angle of the slope and the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2).

2. Can you use a regular scale to find the mass of an object on a slope?

No, a regular scale will not accurately measure the mass of an object on a slope. You will need to use a force sensor or a spring scale to measure the force of the object, which can then be used in the equation F = ma to find the mass.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the mass of the object being pulled?

The angle of the slope does not directly affect the mass of the object being pulled. However, it does affect the force of the object, which is needed to calculate the mass. The steeper the slope, the greater the force of the object.

4. Is the mass of an object on a slope the same as its mass at rest?

Yes, the mass of an object on a slope is the same as its mass at rest. The slope only affects the force and acceleration of the object, not its mass.

5. Can you find the mass of an object on a slope without knowing the angle of the slope?

No, the angle of the slope is a crucial factor in calculating the mass of an object being pulled on a slope. Without this information, you will not be able to accurately determine the mass of the object.