Finding mass in a pulley system

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of two masses in a simple Atwood's machine using given information such as speed, distance, and kinetic energy. The solution involves using equations such as KE=1/2mv^2 and F=ma, and considering the forces and accelerations acting on each mass.
Robertoalva
1. A simple Atwood’s machine uses a massless pulley and two masses m1 and m2. Starting from rest, the speed of the two masses is 2.2 m/s at the end of 2.9 s. At that time, the kinetic energy of the system is 85 J and each mass has moved a distance of 3.19 m

(a) Find the value of heavier mass. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.

(b) Find the value of lighter mass.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

well, it says that i have the kinetic energy so it would be something like this:

85J= 1/2m1(2.2m/s)^2 + 1/2m2(2.2m/s)^2

after this i get stuck, they are asking me to find the mass, and the only other equation that i think may fit would be F=ma but then, I don't know how

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right thinking about F = ma. Take m1. What force acts on? What is it acceleration? Ditto for m2.

would it be T? if so then, T-m1a= m1g?

What about m2?

wouldn't it be the same? because they are suspended pulleys they have tension on a cord, and gravity acting on them?

They have the same acceleration but not the same force.

so, it would be:

T-m1g=m1a
T+m2g=m1a ?

According to that equation both gravity and tension are acting in the same direction on the 2nd mass. Is that correct? Does the tension push it downwards or pull it upwards?

ooh! then, m2g= m2a ?

No no - that would be saying that tension doesn't exist for m2! You need to look at the signs in your 2nd equation.

T-m1g=m1a
T+m2g=m2a i just change the sign to a negative?

T-m1g=m1a
T-m2g=-m2a

maybe like this?

Yes, that is fine.

Related to Finding mass in a pulley system

1. How do you calculate the mass in a pulley system?

To calculate the mass in a pulley system, you need to know the force applied to the system and the acceleration of the system. The formula for finding mass in a pulley system is mass = force / acceleration.

2. What is a pulley system and how does it work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects. It consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or axle. When one end of the rope is pulled, it causes the other end to rise, allowing for the object to be lifted or moved.

3. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. In a fixed pulley system, the pulley is attached to a stationary point. In a movable pulley system, the pulley is attached to the object being moved. A compound pulley system consists of both fixed and movable pulleys.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the mass in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the mass, but it does affect the force required to lift or move an object. The more pulleys in a system, the less force is needed to lift the object. This is due to the distribution of weight and the mechanical advantage of the pulley system.

5. What are some real-life applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also commonly used in sailing, rock climbing, and construction to lift heavy objects. In addition, pulley systems are used in vehicles to control the movement of belts and chains.