Finding mass flow rate and static pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass flow rate and static pressure using Bernoulli's equation. The approach involves considering the continuity equation and accounting for possible losses in the system. It is recommended to double check assumptions and equations and consult additional resources for guidance.
zewei1988

Homework Statement

I was asked to find the mass flow rate and static pressure

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply assumed that the area of the water jet hitting the vane is equals to the total area of water leaving the vane. I'm not sure if my assumption is true. From there I used Bernoulli's equation to find the speed of water leaving the nozzle, and hence the mass flow rate.

For the static pressure question, I felt that it should be p = rou*g*h + weight of vane/ area of nozzle.

I'm not sure if both are correct.

Attachments

• Untitleda.png
    Untitleda.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 517
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you're on the right track with your approach to finding the mass flow rate and static pressure. However, I would recommend double checking your assumptions and equations to ensure accuracy.

For the mass flow rate, it is important to consider the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate into a control volume must be equal to the mass flow rate out of the control volume. This can help verify your assumption about the area of the water jet and the total area of water leaving the vane.

For the static pressure, your equation looks correct, but be sure to take into account any losses due to friction or other factors in the system.

I would also recommend checking with your instructor or consulting additional resources for guidance and verification on your solution. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding mass flow rate and static pressure

1. How do you calculate mass flow rate?

The mass flow rate is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the velocity and the cross-sectional area through which the fluid is flowing. The formula is: mass flow rate = density x velocity x cross-sectional area.

2. What is the unit of mass flow rate?

The unit of mass flow rate is typically kilograms per second (kg/s) in the SI system. Other common units include grams per second (g/s) and pounds per second (lb/s).

3. How is static pressure measured?

Static pressure is measured using a pressure transducer or gauge. The device is connected to the fluid flow system and measures the pressure exerted by the fluid on its surface.

4. What is the relationship between mass flow rate and static pressure?

The mass flow rate and static pressure are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in mass flow rate will result in an increase in static pressure, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding mass flow rate and static pressure?

The accuracy of finding mass flow rate and static pressure can be affected by factors such as fluid density, variations in fluid velocity, and obstructions in the fluid flow system. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors when conducting measurements.