Finding Magnetic Force on a Moving Electron

In summary, Beverly was struggling to find the force on an electron that has a velocity and was unable to do so with the right hand rule. Beverly was able to find the force by using the equation F =qvBsin(phi).
bbbbbev
Hi. Ok, here's the problem:

An electron that has velocity v = (3.6 106 m/s) i + (3.7 106 m/s) j moves through a magnetic field B = (0.03 T) i - (0.15 T) j.

(a) Find the force on the electron.

I know how to find the force from scalar numbers (using the equation F_mag = q x v x Bsin(phi)), but I can't figure out how to do it with vectors. I know that the answer is going to be in the "k" direction, but I don't understand how to get a k from an i and a j, and I can't find how to do it in the book or on any website.

I tried finding the force in the i direction and then the force in the j direction and doing vector addition, but that didn't work because the resultant vector is not in the k direction. I guess the real problem is that I don't know how to add j and i vectors to get a k vector. Could someone please help? Thanks alot! Beverly

Physics news on Phys.org
Howdy Beverly. I'm sure you have seen written somewhere the magnetic force in terms of vector as

[tex]F_{mag} = q(\vec{v} \times \vec{B})[/tex]

This means that the vector force has a magnitude given by vBsinO (like you did) and a direction given by the right hand rule.

Learn about the right hand rule here.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks. I think I get it. Can I just find force in the i direction and then find force in the j direction and then multiply them together to get the magnitude in the k direction? I tried doing this:

F_i = q x v_i x B_i
F_i = (1.6E-19C)(3.6e6m/s)(0.03T)
F_i = 1.728E-14 N

F_j = q x v_j x B_j
F_j = (1.6E-19C)(3.7e6m/s)(-0.15T)
F_j = -8.88E-14 N

Then I multiplied F_i x F_j to get F_k, but that answer was incorrect. Am I understanding the right hand rule thing wrong??

Thanks for your help,

Beverly

bbbbbev,

No, you can't do it that way. Go back to the equation you started with:

F =qvBsin(phi) where phi is the angle between the directions of v and B.

Can you figure out what phi is?

bbbbbev said:
I know how to find the force from scalar numbers (using the equation F_mag = q x v x Bsin(phi)), but I can't figure out how to do it with vectors.

The scalar force IS the magnitude of the vector force. The right hand rule only adds to it by telling you the direction of the force based on the directions of the vectors v and B.

Thanks! I got it. I figured out phi and just used that equation. Thanks guys.

Related to Finding Magnetic Force on a Moving Electron

1. What is magnetic force and how does it work?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnetic objects. It is caused by the movement of electric charges, such as electrons, within a magnetic field. The force is strongest when the two objects have opposite poles and weakest when they have the same pole.

2. What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by the distance between the two objects, the strength of the magnetic field, and the properties of the objects themselves (such as their magnetic strength and orientation).

3. How do you calculate the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the object in the magnetic field.

4. Can magnetic force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic force can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as iron or steel, which are highly permeable to magnetic fields. This is because the magnetic field lines are forced to travel through these materials, weakening the overall force.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in everyday items such as credit cards, speakers, and hard drives.