Finding Magnetic Field from a Current Bearing Conductor

In summary, the question asks for the distance from a long, thin conductor carrying a current of 8.93 A to the point where the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field is 4.79 × 10−5 T. The formula used to calculate this distance is B=Uo*I/2*pi*d, and after correcting the equation, the correct answer is 3.7286 cm. The mistake was caused by substituting the parallel conductors equation instead of the straight wire equation.
mba444

Homework Statement

A long, thin conductor carries a current of
8.93 A.
At what distance from the conductor is
the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field
4.79 × 10−5 T? Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

B= Uo*I*l/(2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used this equation to figure out the distance but i keep getting the wrong answer
can someone explain wats going wrong ?!

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org

mba444 said:

Homework Statement

A long, thin conductor carries a current of
8.93 A.
At what distance from the conductor is
the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field
4.79 × 10−5 T? Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

B= Uo*I*l/(2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used this equation to figure out the distance but i keep getting the wrong answer
can someone explain wats going wrong ?!

thanx
What is the l in your equation?

its the length

mba444 said:
its the length
Well, the formula is incorrect, which probably explains why you've been getting the wrong answer. How did you arrive at that particular formula?

As an aside, what have you been using for the length of the wire since the question does not specify how long the conductor is?

Oops

i mixed up the parallel conducters equation with the straight wire equation

therefore is this the one B=Uo*i/2*pi*d

mba444 said:
Oops

i mixed up the parallel conducters equation with the straight wire equation

therefore is this the one B=Uo*i/2*pi*d
That looks good to me.

wrong answer !

d=(4*pi*10^-7*8.93)/(2*pi*4.79*10^-5)= 0.011869 this is in meters so i converted it into cm i got 1.1869

mba444 said:
wrong answer !

d=(4*pi*10^-7*8.93)/(2*pi*4.79*10^-5)= 0.011869 this is in meters so i converted it into cm i got 1.1869
I'd recheck your arithmetic and make sure that you are punching the numbers into your calculator correctly.

i did checked it again but still the same answer

mba444 said:
i did checked it again but still the same answer
Well using your numbers I get a different answer. You must be punching the numbers into your calculator incorrectly.

oka i got 13.0501 cm after correct my calculation but still the answer is wrong !

mba444 said:
oka i got 13.0501 cm after correct my calculation but still the answer is wrong !
Still not the same answer as I get. All I can suggest is that you check the manual that came with your calculator to ensure that you are entering the numbers correctly.

i figured out my mistake thanks for your help

the answer is 3.7286 cm

Related to Finding Magnetic Field from a Current Bearing Conductor

1. How do you find the magnetic field from a current bearing conductor?

To find the magnetic field from a current bearing conductor, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and curl your fingers. The direction your fingers curl will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current in the conductor. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

3. How does the distance from the conductor affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field strength decreases as the distance from the conductor increases. This is because the magnetic field spreads out as it moves away from the conductor, making it weaker at a greater distance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is the tesla (T). In some cases, it may also be measured in gauss (G), with 1 T equal to 10,000 G.

5. How does the shape of the conductor affect the magnetic field?

The shape of the conductor can affect the magnetic field in a few ways. A straight conductor will produce a magnetic field that is parallel to the conductor, while a coiled or looped conductor will produce a more concentrated and stronger magnetic field. Additionally, the magnetic field produced by a flat, thin conductor will be weaker than that of a thicker, cylindrical conductor.