Finding Maclaurin Series Expansions of Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first four non-zero terms of the Maclaurin Series for the function F(x) = (1+X^{7})^{-4} and the exact value of the 21st order derivative of the same function evaluated at x=0. The participants of the conversation attempt to solve the problem using known series and derivatives, but ultimately struggle with finding an efficient method. One participant suggests using a counting argument to find the coefficients, while the other mentions a possible multinomial expansion.
iceman713
Hey, here's is my problem as the exam states it:

A) Write out the first four non-zero terms of the Maclaurin Series for [tex]F(x) = (1+X^{7})^{-4}[/tex] Give all of the coefficients in exact form, simplified as much as possible.

B) Find the exact value of the 21st order derivative of [tex]F(x) = (1+X^{7})^{-4}[/tex] evaluated at x=0

I can not figure out an efficient(or simple) way to find the expansion of the given function. At first I tried using the known series 1/(1-X) = [tex]\sum X^{n}[/tex]

I replaced X in the equality with -X^7 to get [tex]\sum (-1)^{n}X^{7n}[/tex]

After this though, I'm lost. Apparently I'm not allowed to just multiply the general term by 1/(1+X^7)^3. So I've no idea what to do. :(

Hopefully the solution to A simplifies the solution to B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you find the first 4 terms of the MacLaurin series for it yet? The idea is to look for a pattern in those to find the general form of the series.

I tried doing that, the issue I ran into was that the question asks for the first four non-zero terms of the series. I attempted to take a few derivatives, but by the 3rd one I was already dealing with 4 separate sums of functions(that in turn have product rule applied and each become 2 more sums). Not only that, at that point all the terms would have been zeros if they had been evaluated. Seemingly it would take forever to do this the direct method.

I also have another question but don't feel like making another thread for it, I've already typed it up on mathbin:

http://mathbin.net/2926

Last edited by a moderator:
Take u=X^7. Then 1/(1+u)=(1-u+u^2-u^3+...). To the accuracy you need it 1/(1+u)^4=(1-u+u^2-u^3)^4. You can just brute force multiply it out. Drop any term with a power over u^3. You don't need it. You can also be clever and use counting arguments. For example to get the coefficient of the u^2 term you can either choose one power of u from two of the factors, C(4,2)=6 ways to do that, or one power of u^2 from one of the four factors, C(4,1)=4 ways to do that. So the coefficient of u^2 is 4+6=10.

Last edited:
Yea it does take awhile; it looks like the first 4 non-zero terms are (it takes 21 terms to get them)

[tex]1-4x^7+10x^{14}-20x^{21}[/tex]

That looks like [tex]\sum a_n(-1)^nx^{7n}[/tex]

where the [itex]a_n[/tex] is some sequence that makes the {1,4,10,20,...}; I can't think of what would work for that at the moment though.

It's a multinomial expansion. There's probably a concise expression for it somewhere.

Related to Finding Maclaurin Series Expansions of Functions

What is a Maclaurin series expansion?

A Maclaurin series expansion is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable, with coefficients determined by the values of the function and its derivatives at a single point, usually 0.

Why do we use Maclaurin series expansions?

Maclaurin series expansions are useful because they allow us to approximate functions and calculate their values at certain points without having to use complex methods. They also provide a way to express functions in a more compact and simplified form.

How do you find the Maclaurin series expansion of a function?

To find the Maclaurin series expansion of a function, we first need to find the function's derivatives at the point of expansion (usually 0). Then, we plug those values into the formula for a Maclaurin series and simplify to get the final series.

What is the difference between a Maclaurin series expansion and a Taylor series expansion?

A Maclaurin series expansion is a special case of a Taylor series expansion, where the point of expansion is 0. In other words, all Maclaurin series are Taylor series, but not all Taylor series are Maclaurin series.

When can we use a Maclaurin series expansion to approximate a function?

We can use a Maclaurin series expansion to approximate a function when the function is infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion. This means that all of its derivatives exist and are continuous at that point.