Finding LTI (Linear Time-Invariant Systems)

In summary, the three systems given are linear because the constants can be pulled out of the integrals, fulfilling the scaling property and additive property necessary for linearity. Additionally, all three systems appear to be time-invariant, as delaying t by 1 also delays the output by 1. However, it may be necessary to further analyze and confirm the time-invariant property.
PenDraconis

Homework Statement

Tell whether following systems are i. linear and ii. time-invariant:

$$y(t) = \int_{-\infty}^t x(\tau)d\tau$$
$$y(t) = \int_{0}^t x(\tau)d\tau$$
$$y(t) = \int_{t-1}^{t+1} x(\tau)d\tau$$​

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little thrown off by the integrals but here's my best explanation, all 3 of them are linear, why? Because the constants can be pulled out of the integrals thus fulfilling the scaling property that y(t) = x(t) and Cy(x) = C(x); similarly the concept of an integral inherently proves the additive property necessary for linearity.

As for time-invariance, I'm also inclined to say all of them are time-invarient, why? If we take a look at the systems ( once they've already been integrated we can see this - example of the first integral):

$$y(t) = C(x_{integrated}(t) - x_{integrated}(-\infty))$$​

It seems to me that this clearly shows that if you delay t by 1 your output will also be delayed by one.

Let me know if I have any errors in my thought process or how I went about this, LTI systems are still a little difficult for me to "reason" through, although I am very comfortable with what they stand for the analysis is just...magic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump?

Related to Finding LTI (Linear Time-Invariant Systems)

1. What is an LTI system?

An LTI (Linear Time-Invariant) system is a type of mathematical model used to represent a wide range of physical systems. It is characterized by two properties: linearity, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input, and time-invariance, meaning that the system's behavior does not change over time.

2. How do you determine if a system is LTI?

To determine if a system is LTI, you can perform two tests: the linearity test and the time-invariance test. The linearity test involves checking if the system follows the principles of superposition and homogeneity. The time-invariance test involves checking if the system's behavior remains unchanged when the input signal is shifted in time.

3. What is the importance of finding LTI systems?

Finding LTI systems is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. These systems can be used to accurately model and analyze real-world systems, making them essential for predicting and controlling the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you represent an LTI system mathematically?

An LTI system can be represented mathematically using a linear constant coefficient differential equation. This equation relates the input signal to the output signal and can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as Laplace transforms or Fourier transforms.

5. What are some real-world examples of LTI systems?

Some common examples of LTI systems include electronic filters, mechanical systems, and electrical circuits. These systems can be found in everyday devices such as audio speakers, car suspensions, and electronic amplifiers.