Finding length of minute hand of clock

In summary: So, the radius of the clock is approximately 4 inches.In summary, the minute hand of a clock travels 6.28 inches in 15 minutes, which is equivalent to traveling one quarter of the circumference of the clock. Using the formula for circumference, it can be determined that the radius of the clock is approximately 4 inches.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

The minute hand of a clock travels 6.28 inches in 15 minutes. Find the length of the minute hand. Approximate to the nearest inch, if necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the arc length to be [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] because it's traveled one quarter of the way around the clock.

I set the equation up like this-

[tex]\frac{\pi/2}{15}x=6.28[/tex]

Then I solve for x by multiplying by the reciprocal, and I'm getting 59.97.

This was a question on a test I had earlier today, and when I did it then, I got approximately 15.001 or something like that. That answer didn't seem right to me, and the answer I'm getting now doesn't seem anymore right. I can't remember exactly how I set it up. What am I doing wrong? The rest of the test was simple, this was the only one that threw me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:

Homework Statement

The minute hand of a clock travels 6.28 inches in 15 minutes. Find the length of the minute hand. Approximate to the nearest inch, if necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the arc length to be [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] because it's traveled one quarter of the way around the clock.

I set the equation up like this-

[tex]\frac{\pi/2}{15}x=6.28[/tex]

Then I solve for x by multiplying by the reciprocal, and I'm getting 59.97.

This was a question on a test I had earlier today, and when I did it then, I got approximately 15.001 or something like that. That answer didn't seem right to me, and the answer I'm getting now doesn't seem anymore right. I can't remember exactly how I set it up. What am I doing wrong? The rest of the test was simple, this was the only one that threw me off.

Why are you dividing by 15?

Mark44 said:
Why are you dividing by 15?

I had been trying to use a linear speed formula to find the radius, but as I've thought about it more it made less and less sense.

Should I have found the circumference by multiplying the 6.28 by 4 to get the entire circumference of the circle, then divide by 2pi?

QuantumCurt said:
I had been trying to use a linear speed formula to find the radius, but as I've thought about it more it made less and less sense.

Should I have found the circumference by multiplying the 6.28 by 4 to get the entire circumference of the circle, then divide by 2pi?

The pertinent fact is that circumference = 2π * radius; from this you can find the length of one quarter of the circumference. In general you want to find a formula including the unknown and the known. This is the algebraic way of thinking - get a formula that for conceptual reasons you know is correct, then plug in the numbers with less chance of making a mistake.

I agreed Verty.

You may start with the definitlion of [itex]\pi=\frac{\mathcal{C}}{2R}[/itex], where [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] is the circumference lenght.

Then, since you have the length of a quarter of the circumference, can clear the radio.

All that is relevant is that [itex](\pi/2)r[/itex] is the length of a quarter circle arc. The time it takes to travel that is irrelevant. You only need the fifteen minutes to know that the minute hand traveled a quarter circle.

So then I would want to set it up like-6.28(4)/2pi? So...approximately 8 inches?

QuantumCurt said:
So then I would want to set it up like-6.28(4)/2pi? So...approximately 8 inches?

You're dividing a quarter of an arc between a full arc angle...

QuantumCurt said:

6.28 ≈ 2##\pi##, so the expression above simplifies to approximately 4.

Related to Finding length of minute hand of clock

1. How do you find the length of the minute hand of a clock?

The length of the minute hand of a clock can be determined by using the formula L = 2πr/60, where L is the length of the minute hand, r is the radius of the clock face, and 60 represents the number of minutes in an hour. This formula assumes that the minute hand is a straight line from the center of the clock to the end of the hand.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the length of the minute hand?

The unit of measurement for the length of the minute hand can vary depending on the size of the clock. It can be measured in inches, centimeters, or millimeters. However, for scientific calculations, it is recommended to use consistent units such as meters.

3. How does the length of the minute hand affect the speed of the clock?

The length of the minute hand does not affect the speed of the clock. The speed of a clock is determined by the mechanism that drives it, such as a quartz crystal or a pendulum. The length of the minute hand only affects the distance it travels in a given time.

4. Can the length of the minute hand be used to determine the time on a clock?

No, the length of the minute hand alone cannot be used to determine the time on a clock. It must be combined with the length of the hour hand and the current position of the hands on the clock face to accurately determine the time.

5. How do you measure the length of the minute hand on a digital clock?

The length of the minute hand on a digital clock cannot be measured as it is not a physical hand. It is simply a representation of time in digital form. However, the size of the numbers or digits on the clock face can be used as a reference for the length of the minute hand.