Finding harmonic components with basic arithmetic

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a method to approximate the harmonics of a signal using Fourier analysis and taking advantage of trigonometric identities. The goal is to minimize the number of sampled sinusoids, and the point about the fundamental frequency having a larger amplitude is also relevant.
Forcefedglas

Homework Statement

s9KVaQy.png

Homework Equations

I'm guessing trigonometric identities such as sin(a)cos(b) = 1/2(sin(a+b)+sin(a-b)) might be relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking of some way to get an approximation of each harmonic by working with the Fourier series representation (approximated since it's only sampled for 250ms) of the signal and taking advantage of trigonometric identities but that's about as far as I've gotten, and am having trouble figuring out how I should proceed. Am I in the correct line of thinking so far?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• s9KVaQy.png
    s9KVaQy.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 715
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you could use the principle of Fourrier analysis.
If you think of how the Fourrier transform is calculated and the hint they gave in sentence 3 of the first paragraph, that should give you a method.

You won't be able to integrate from -∞ to +∞, but from t=o to t= 0.25 should give a decent result at 300Hz

Likes scottdave
Merlin3189 said:
I think you could use the principle of Fourrier analysis.
If you think of how the Fourrier transform is calculated and the hint they gave in sentence 3 of the first paragraph, that should give you a method.

You won't be able to integrate from -∞ to +∞, but from t=o to t= 0.25 should give a decent result at 300Hz

Thanks, it all makes a lot more sense now. One of the goals was also to minimize the set of sampled sinusoids - I'm guessing I take a N-point DFT and keep reducing N until it's barely within specifications.

EDIT: One more thing though, what's the relevance of point 2 (You may rely on the fundamental frequency component having a larger amplitude than other harmonics)?

Last edited:

Related to Finding harmonic components with basic arithmetic

1. What is the purpose of finding harmonic components with basic arithmetic?

The purpose of finding harmonic components with basic arithmetic is to analyze and understand the frequency components present in a signal or waveform. This can be useful in various fields such as signal processing, audio engineering, and electronics.

2. What is a harmonic component?

A harmonic component is a sinusoidal waveform with a frequency that is a multiple of the fundamental frequency. In other words, it is a frequency that is an integer multiple of the lowest frequency present in a signal.

3. How is basic arithmetic used to find harmonic components?

Basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are used to manipulate the frequency components in a signal. For example, the sum or difference of two frequencies can result in a new frequency component, and multiplication can result in harmonics.

4. Can harmonic components be found in any type of signal?

Yes, harmonic components can be found in any type of signal that contains multiple frequencies. This includes audio signals, electrical signals, and even natural phenomena such as ocean waves and seismic waves.

5. Why is it important to find harmonic components in a signal?

Finding harmonic components can provide valuable information about the characteristics of a signal, such as its frequency content, periodicity, and stability. This information can be used for various applications, such as filtering, noise reduction, and frequency modulation.