Finding Global Extrema on Disc x^2 + y^2 ≤ 1 for f(x,y) = xy + 5y

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc Global
In summary: So what you've got is a false solution.I don't know what you mean by "evaluating numerically." I graphed it on Desmos and it looks like it works though, so I'm not sure which one is false.I mean plugging ##x = (1/4)(\sqrt{33}-5)## or ##x = (1/4)(-\sqrt{33}-5)## into the original equation. Neither one satisfies the equation.You can verify this by plugging in the values into the original equation: ##x^2 + y^2 = (1/16)(33-10\sqrt{33}+25) + y^2 = (1/16)(33+10\
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

find the global extrema on the disc [tex] x^2 + y^2 \le 1[/tex]

given the function [tex]f(x,y)=xy+5y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the interior of the disc

[tex]\nabla f = <y,x+5>[/tex]

the critical point is (0,-5)

for the boundary of the disc
using lagrange multipliers

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{cc}y=\lambda 2x \\ x+5 = \lambda 2y \\ x^2+y^2 =1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

solving for lambda

[tex] \lambda = \frac{y}{2x}; \lambda = \frac{x+5}{2y} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{2x}=\frac{x+5}{2y} \Rightarrow y = \pm \sqrt{x(x+5)}[/tex]
now,
[tex]x^2 + (\pm \sqrt{x(x+5)})^2 = 1 \Rightarrow x = \frac{1}{4}(\pm\sqrt{33}-5)[/tex]
subbing the x value into
[tex]y = \pm \sqrt{x(x+5)} \Rightarrow \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}(5 \sqrt{33} - 21)}[/tex]

I know to test those critical points in the original function but before I go further I want to make sure I have done everything up to it correctly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{cc}y=\lambda 2x \\ x+5 = \lambda 2y \\ x^2+y^2 =1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

solving for lambda

now,
[tex]x^2 + (\pm \sqrt{x(x+5)})^2 = 1 \Rightarrow x = \frac{1}{4}(\pm\sqrt{33}-5)[/tex]
subbing the x value into
[tex]y = \pm \sqrt{x(x+5)} \Rightarrow \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}(5 \sqrt{33} - 21)}[/tex]

I know to test those critical points in the original function but before I go further I want to make sure I have done everything up to it correctly

I got the same numbers using a different method.

Likes 1 person
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

solving for lambda

now,
subbing the x value into

Be careful: one of your ##x =\frac{1}{4}(\sqrt{33}-5)## and ## x =\frac{1}{4}(-\sqrt{33}-5)## is incorrect; do you see why?

It would have been less troublesome to use the Lagrangian stationary conditions to solve for ##x,y## as functions of ##\lambda##, then use these expressions in the constraint to get a single equation for ##\lambda##. The two roots for ##\lambda## correspond to the min and the max, and when you then use those values in the ##x,y## expressions you are done: no ##\pm## problems to worry about.

I am not currently aware of Lagrangian stationary conditions. I will use my googles but I always welcome better ways to do a problems. especially ones with less than optimal results.

I'll check those x values in the morning.

EDIT:

I found something about creating a new function and taking partials

[tex]F(x,y,z,\lambda)=f(x,y,z) - \lambda(g(x,y,z)-k)[/tex]

and take the partials for x,y,z,lambda

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
I am not currently aware of Lagrangian stationary conditions. I will use my googles but I always welcome better ways to do a problems. especially ones with less than optimal results.

I'll check those x values in the morning.

You are aware of the conditions: you used them! They are just the two equations ##x+5 = 2 \lambda y## and ##y = 2 \lambda x##. These are the "stationarity" conditions for the Lagrangian function ##L = f(x,y) - \lambda g(x,y)## in the problem
[tex] \min f(x,y)\\
\text{subject to } g(x,y) = 0[/tex]

BTW: the Lagrangian ##L## plays an important role in second-order tests for maxima and minima, but more on that later.

Likes 1 person
ah, okay thank you. I just hadn't heard that terminology used yet.

I went through it again, got the same number. I am not seeing why one of the x values is incorrect

jonroberts74 said:
I went through it again, got the same number. I am not seeing why one of the x values is incorrect

Whenever you use nonlinear manipulations (squaring equations, and the like) you can introduce false solutions, that is, so-called solutions that do not satisfy the original equations you started with. Check both ##x = (1/4)(\sqrt{33}-5)## and ##x = (1/4)(-\sqrt{33}-5)##. There is no way that one of them can possibly satisfy ##x^2 + y^2 \leq 1## for any real value of ##y##. If you don't believe it, try evaluating them numerically.

Related to Finding Global Extrema on Disc x^2 + y^2 ≤ 1 for f(x,y) = xy + 5y

1. What is a global maximum on a disc?

A global maximum on a disc is the highest point on the surface of a disc. This means that there is no other point on the disc that is higher than this point.

2. How is the global maximum on a disc calculated?

The global maximum on a disc is calculated by finding the maximum value of a function that is defined on the disc. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the critical points. The highest critical point will be the global maximum.

3. What is a global minimum on a disc?

A global minimum on a disc is the lowest point on the surface of a disc. This means that there is no other point on the disc that is lower than this point.

4. How is the global minimum on a disc calculated?

The global minimum on a disc is calculated by finding the minimum value of a function that is defined on the disc. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the critical points. The lowest critical point will be the global minimum.

5. Why is finding the global max/min on a disc important?

Finding the global max/min on a disc is important because it allows us to understand the maximum and minimum values of a function on a specific area. This information can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to optimize processes and make informed decisions.