Finding general solution to this pde

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to the equation \frac{\partial}{\partial t}U(x,y,t) = 2g \left( x \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) U(x,y,t) in a PDE class. The person has tried using characteristics and forming a general solution but is unsure of how to proceed. The suggestion is made to write the equation in polar coordinates and apply a linear change of variables to make the general solution obvious.
climbon
Hi, my equation is;

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U(x,y,t) = 2g \left( x \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) U(x,y,t)
[/tex]

I want to find the general solution to this but I don't know how to find it?

Any help would be great...thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
What class is this for, a PDE class?

What have you tried already?

Yer its PDE class.

I've tried using Charactoristics, so,

[tex]
\frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial s} = 2gy(t)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{\partial y(t)}{\partial s} = -2gx(t)
[/tex]

With s=t. I am not sure what to do now with regards to forming a general solution, would it be something of the form,

[tex]
U(x,y,t) = f (x_0 +2gy(t)t, y_0 -2gx(t)t, t)
[/tex]

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

Writing the original equation in polar coordinates should be illuminating. There's a further linear change of variables that will put the equation into a form where the general solution should be obvious.

Related to Finding general solution to this pde

1. What is a general solution to a PDE?

A general solution to a PDE (partial differential equation) is a solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variables. It includes all possible solutions, including those that may not be physically meaningful.

2. How do you find a general solution to a PDE?

To find a general solution to a PDE, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or transforming the equation into a simpler form. These methods involve manipulating the equation and solving for the unknown function.

3. Can a PDE have more than one general solution?

Yes, a PDE can have multiple general solutions. This is because there are often different ways to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown function, resulting in different solutions. However, not all of these solutions may be physically meaningful.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution to a PDE includes all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for given initial or boundary conditions. In other words, a particular solution is a subset of the general solution.

5. Can a PDE have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, a PDE can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the equation may have an infinite number of possible solutions for the unknown function, depending on the initial or boundary conditions given. However, not all of these solutions may be physically meaningful.