Finding gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off

In summary, the main water line entering a house has a gauge pressure of 1.70 X 10^5 Pa. When a faucet on the second floor, 5.2 m above the first floor, is turned off, the gauge pressure at this faucet is 51012 Pa. To find the height above the water main where no water would flow from an open faucet, we use the equation P(gauge)=\rhogh and determine that the gauge pressure must be zero for no water to flow. This corresponds to a pressure difference of 1.70 X 10^5 Pa.
tyro008

Homework Statement

The main water line enters a house on the first floor. The line has a gauge pressure of 1.70 X 10^5 Pa.

(a) A faucet on the second floor, 5.2 m above the first floor, is turned off. What is the gauge pressure at this faucet?
Pa
(b) How high above the water main could a faucet be before no water would flow from it, even if the faucet were open?

Homework Equations

P(gauge)=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh
Pabs = Patm + Pgauge
Pabs = 1.01 X 10^5Pa + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh
density of water = 1000kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use both of these equations but it didn't work. do i need to use 1.70 X 10^5Pa when solving the problem?
I tried the first equation and got 51012Pa (1000 X 9.81 X 5.2)
i tried using the second one and got the wrong answer too.
then i tried to find the density at the closed water fountain.. but i wasn't even
sure how to use that information.
which equation should i use to solve a?
i'm sure i can solve b after finding this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid?

i'll just use "p" for rho..

i thought the difference might be pgh, and that pgh would be the gauge pressure.
so i just multiplied density of water by gravity by height.. but that didn't work.
i just don't know if there's supposed to be a different equation, since the faucet is
closed and thus a closed valve (i'm not even sure it's a closed valve..)

tyro008 said:
i thought the difference might be pgh
That's it.
, and that pgh would be the gauge pressure.
so i just multiplied density of water by gravity by height.. but that didn't work.
Try it again. Note that ρgh is the change in pressure.

ok this time i tried the differences in gauge pressure,
so i subtracted pgh from 1.70 X 10^5Pa, and got 118988Pa..
would this be the right answer?

Looks good.

thank you!
that really helped a lot :)

to find the height, would i use torricelli's theorum and then find V1 (velocity 1)?

tyro008 said:
to find the height, would i use torricelli's theorum and then find V1 (velocity 1)?
No. To find the height needed for part (b) you'll do the same sort of thing you did for part (a). In part (a) you were given a height and you found the pressure difference; for part (b) you have the pressure difference (you can figure it out) and need to find the height.

What must the gauge pressure be for no water to flow? What's the pressure difference at that height compared to the pressure at the main level?

would the gauge pressure have to be zero for no water to flow?
and the pressure difference would be gauge pressure, what I calculated in (a), I think.

tyro008 said:
would the gauge pressure have to be zero for no water to flow?
Right!
and the pressure difference would be gauge pressure, what I calculated in (a), I think.
No. What you calculated in (a) was the pressure difference for a 5.2 m change in height.

For (b) the pressure difference is between the main line pressure (given) and a gauge pressure of zero.

Related to Finding gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off

1. What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the absolute pressure and the atmospheric pressure at a specific location.

2. How is gauge pressure different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure takes into account the atmospheric pressure while absolute pressure does not. Absolute pressure is measured relative to a perfect vacuum, while gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure.

3. How do you find gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off?

To find gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off, you can use a pressure gauge or manometer. Attach the gauge to the faucet and read the pressure measurement. This will give you the gauge pressure, which is the difference between the absolute pressure inside the faucet and the atmospheric pressure.

4. Why is it important to know the gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off?

Knowing the gauge pressure when the faucet is turned off can help determine the pressure inside the plumbing system. This information is important for maintaining proper water flow and pressure, and for identifying potential issues such as leaks or clogs.

5. How does the gauge pressure change when the faucet is turned on?

When the faucet is turned on, the gauge pressure will increase due to the water flow. The exact change in pressure will depend on factors such as the water pressure in the main supply line and the type of faucet being used.