Finding Function with Definite Integral & Arc Length

In summary, the purpose of finding function with definite integral is to calculate the area under a curve on a specific interval, which is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. The definite integral of a function can be found using the fundamental theorem of calculus, and arc length is significant in this process for determining distance traveled along a curved path. Common methods for finding function with definite integral include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and the midpoint rule. This concept is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as derivatives and antiderivatives, and it is essential in solving real-world problems in various fields of science and mathematics.
bpcraig
Sorry, latex is being weird.

I'm currently trying to come up with a way to find an equation that satisfies:

[tex]s=\int_a^b \sqrt{(f'[x])^2+1} \, dx[/tex]

Which is arc length

and

[tex]G=\int_a^b f[x] \, dx[/tex]

which is area under the curve

where A and s are known values, and f[a]=A, f=B

I've tried expressing f[x] as a power series, namely:

[tex]f[x]=\sum _{n=0}^N a_nx^n[/tex]

so that:

[tex]f'[x]=\sum _{n=1}^N n x^{-1+n} a_n[/tex]

But using that in

[tex]s=\int_a^b \sqrt{(f'[x])^2+1} \, dx[/tex]

has proven to be difficult as I am unclear how to square a power series, let alone how to integrate it's root.

I've also tried adapting the power series into a finite product, namely:

[tex]\text{Log}\left[\sum _{n=0}^N e^{\left(a_nx^n\right)}\right][/tex]

Where f'[x] is:

[tex]f'[x]=\text{Log}\left[\sum _{n=1}^N e^{\left(n a_nx^{n-1}\right)}\right][/tex]

But I encounter a similar problem, for some r, ln[r]^2 can not be simplified.

any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

I understand your frustration with latex acting up, but let's focus on the problem at hand. Finding an equation that satisfies both arc length and area under the curve is an interesting challenge.

One approach you could try is using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This states that the derivative of the integral of a function is the original function. So for your first equation, you could start by taking the derivative of s with respect to x, which would give you:

s'=\sqrt{(f'[x])^2+1}

Then, using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, you could integrate both sides with respect to x to get:

s=\int_a^b \sqrt{(f'[x])^2+1} \, dx

This might make it easier to work with the square root and the power series.

For the second equation, you could try using the fact that the area under a curve is equal to the integral of the function. So you could start by setting G equal to the integral of f[x]:

G=\int_a^b f[x] \, dx

And then use the power series for f[x] to integrate it and solve for G.

I hope this helps and gives you some new ideas to try. Good luck with your research!

Related to Finding Function with Definite Integral & Arc Length

What is the purpose of finding function with definite integral?

The purpose of finding function with definite integral is to calculate the area under a curve on a specific interval. This is useful in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, as it allows for the determination of quantities such as displacement, velocity, and work.

How do you find the definite integral of a function?

The definite integral of a function can be found by using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the integral.

What is the significance of arc length in finding function with definite integral?

Arc length is the length of a curve, and it is important in finding function with definite integral because it allows for the calculation of the distance traveled by an object along a curved path. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car on a winding road or the distance traveled by a projectile.

What are some common methods for finding function with definite integral?

Some common methods for finding function with definite integral include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and the midpoint rule. These methods involve dividing the interval into smaller segments and using a specific formula to calculate the area under the curve for each segment, then summing these areas to get an approximation of the definite integral.

How does finding function with definite integral relate to other mathematical concepts?

Finding function with definite integral is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as derivatives, antiderivatives, and the area under a curve. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is essential for solving a variety of real-world problems in various fields of science and mathematics.