Finding force exerted if you know tension, mass, and distance

In summary, Cliff is supporting the board at the end and has attached his lunch to the end. There is a tension of 207N in the string supporting the lunch. The normal forces exerted by Cliff and Will are 1000N.
astru025

Homework Statement

Cliff and Will are carrying a uniform 2.0m board of mass 77kg. Will is supporting the board at the end while cliff is 0.6m from the other end as shown in the following figure. Cliff has attached his lunch to his end of the board, and the tension in the string supporting the lunch is 207N. Find the normal forces exerted by Cliff and Will.

Homework Equations

I can't seem to find an equation or equations to go with this problem. I have the equation for torque which is: meter*mass*9.8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin... Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
A picture to go with the problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 401
For static equilibrium, the forces must add to zero and the moments must add to zero. What are the forces? Assign variables to any forces you don't know the magnitudes of. What directions do the forces act in? What equation can you write to express that the sum of the forces is zero?
Next, pick a point to take moments about. Find the moment of each force about that point and write an equation expressing the fact that the sum of the moments is zero.

Okay thanks. My book says the forces should add to 1000N.

Here is some more notes/info that may help figure this problem out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 454
More notes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 441
And more notes.,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 415
Last one..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 451
astru025 said:
Okay thanks. My book says the forces should add to 1000N.

No, all the forces on the board must add to zero. If not, the board will accelerate.
The various images you later posted seem to be for other problems.
Please try to answer the questions in my initial response.

How do I go about in solving this? Help!

astru025 said:
How do I go about in solving this? Help!
Please try to answer the questions I asked:
- List all the forces (there are four)
- What directions do you think they act in?
- Assign a symbol to each
- What equations/laws are you aware of that can be used to relate them?

Related to Finding force exerted if you know tension, mass, and distance

1. What is the formula for finding force exerted if you know tension, mass, and distance?

The formula for finding force exerted is: F = T x (m x g) x d, where F is the force exerted, T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance.

2. How do you calculate tension if you know the force exerted, mass, and distance?

To calculate tension, you can rearrange the formula to T = F / (m x g) x d. Simply plug in the known values for force, mass, and distance to find the tension.

3. Can tension be negative when calculating force exerted?

No, tension cannot be negative when calculating force exerted. Tension is a scalar quantity and only has a magnitude, not a direction. Therefore, it is always positive when calculating force.

4. What units are used for tension, mass, and distance when calculating force exerted?

Tension is measured in Newtons (N), mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and distance is measured in meters (m). When these values are plugged into the formula, the resulting unit for force will be Newtons (N).

5. How does the distance affect the force exerted when using the formula?

The distance has a direct relationship with the force exerted. This means that the longer the distance, the greater the force exerted will be. This is because the greater the distance, the more work is needed to move the mass, resulting in a greater force being exerted.