Finding Focal Length of Diverging Lens with Parallel Rays

In summary, we have a problem where we are trying to find the focal length of a diverging lens. We know that there is a converging lens located 24cm behind the diverging lens, with a focal length of 31cm. We also know that parallel light strikes the diverging lens and after passing through the converging lens, the light remains parallel. The image for the diverging lens becomes the object for the converging lens. The distance between the object and the diverging lens is infinity, and the distance between the image and the converging lens should also be infinity. When using the equation for the converging lens, we can ignore the term 1/infinity since it is a very small number. Additionally, for
langenase

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the focal length of the diverging lens. The converging lens is 24cm behind a diverging lens. The focal length of the converging lens is 31cm. I know that parallel light strikes the diverging lens and then affter passing through the converging lens the light is again parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the image for the diverging lens becomes the object for the converging lens. Does this mean that the distance between the diverging and converging lens is also the distance between the object and the converging lens?

If the rays are parallel when they enter the diverging lens then the distance between the object and the diverging lens is infinity. The distance between the image and the converging lens should also be infinity.
So for the converging lens:
1/f = 1/do + 1/infinity

I don't exactly know what to do with 'do'. I know its equal to the image of the diverging lens but I don't get the right answer when I substitute 1/fd - 1/infinity = 1/do in for 1/do in the converging equation.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Thank you so much..this is driving me crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
one over a very large number is a very small number so you can ignore the term 1/infinity

another point is that for the diverging lens the object is at infinity so the term should be 1/di

since the image is virtual and forms to the left of the diverging lens the term should actually be -1/di

Last edited:

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct formulas for finding the focal length of a diverging lens. It is important to also consider the sign conventions for distances in the equations. Additionally, I would recommend double-checking your measurements and making sure all units are consistent. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or teacher for further guidance. Remember to always approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Finding Focal Length of Diverging Lens with Parallel Rays

1. What is the purpose of finding the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays?

The focal length of a lens is an important parameter that determines the behavior of light as it passes through the lens. By finding the focal length of a diverging lens, we can understand how the lens will affect the parallel rays of light passing through it.

2. How is the focal length of a diverging lens determined with parallel rays?

To find the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays, we can use the formula 1/f = 1/v + 1/u, where f is the focal length, v is the distance between the lens and the image formed, and u is the distance between the lens and the object. By measuring these distances and plugging them into the formula, we can calculate the focal length.

3. What equipment is needed to find the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays?

To determine the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays, you will need a light source, a diverging lens, a screen or paper to project the image onto, a ruler or measuring tape, and a protractor to measure angles.

4. What are the potential sources of error when finding the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays?

There are several potential sources of error when finding the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays. These include inaccurate measurements of distances or angles, imperfections in the lens, and external factors such as air currents that may affect the path of the light rays.

5. How can the focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays be used in practical applications?

The focal length of a diverging lens with parallel rays can be used in various practical applications, such as designing corrective lenses for nearsightedness, calculating the magnification of a microscope, or determining the size and position of an image in a camera. It is an important parameter in optics and can help us understand and manipulate the behavior of light.