Finding Expression for V1 + V2 Waveforms

• Thread starter zak8000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveforms
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytic expression for a resulting voltage waveform given two waveforms and their phasors. The potential expressions are V=22.4sin(wt+26.5) or V=22.4cos(wt+26.5), and one can use the cos(a+b) and sin(a+b) expansions to determine the correct expression that satisfies the relationship at t=0.
zak8000
say i have the following waveforms

V1=10cos(wt)
V2=20sin(wt)

and i am told to find an analytic expression for the resulting voltage waveform

fristly i found the V1+V2 add the two phasors at t= 0 to get 22.4 and then i found theta which is 26.5 (tan^-1(10/20)) but now I am confused will the expression be:

V=22.4sin(wt+26.5)

or

V=22.4cos(wt+26.5)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the cos(a+b) and sin(a+b) expansions and see which one gives you the original V1 and V2.

At t=0 it is trivial to calculate the result of the original voltages.

At t=0, V = 10. So which of the two expressions for V that you have satisfy this relationship?

Related to Finding Expression for V1 + V2 Waveforms

1. What is the purpose of finding an expression for V1 + V2 waveforms?

Finding an expression for V1 + V2 waveforms allows us to mathematically represent the combined voltage values of two waveforms. This can be useful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and signals.

2. How is the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms calculated?

The expression for V1 + V2 waveforms is calculated by adding the individual voltage values of V1 and V2 at each point in time. This is represented as V1 + V2 = Vt, where Vt is the combined voltage value.

3. Can the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms be simplified?

Yes, the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms can be simplified by using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This can help in simplifying complex waveforms and making them easier to analyze.

4. What are some common methods for finding the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms?

There are several methods for finding the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms, including graphical methods, numerical methods, and analytical methods. Graphical methods involve plotting the two waveforms and visually determining the combined voltage values. Numerical methods use numerical techniques, such as integration, to calculate the combined voltage values. Analytical methods involve using mathematical equations and principles to derive the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms.

5. How can the expression for V1 + V2 waveforms be applied in real-life situations?

The expression for V1 + V2 waveforms can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in the analysis of electrical circuits, signal processing, and communication systems. It can also be used to design and optimize electronic devices and equipment, such as amplifiers and filters.