Finding Expectation from the inverse CDF.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to interpret E(X) as the shaded area above the cumulative distribution function of X and the use of inverse functions in integration. The concept of changing variables in integration is also briefly mentioned.
Dr. Rostov

Homework Statement

http://209.85.48.12/3560/8/upload/p2791776.jpg

Homework Equations

The most relevant identity to the part that I'm confused about is the following identity: for any cumulative distribution function F, with the inverse function F-1, if U has uniform (0,1) distribution, then F-1(U) has cdf F. Also useful: E(X) is the integral from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] of x * f(x), where f(x) = the probability distribution function of the distribution.

The Attempt at a Solution

The identity given for E(X) of a CDF makes perfect sense to me, and deducing the discrete corollary to the theorem makes sense too. Part C isn't anything I need help on, either; I've already used the formula to get it. But though I understand that these all make sense, I'm really just kind of confused about what they're asking in part A. What do they mean by using X=F-1(U) to show that E(X) can be interpreted as the shaded area above the CDF of X? Basically, what's the convention for integrating an inverse function representing a function that you don't know? I'm not looking for any coddling -- I'm just really rather confused by this problem and would like a push in the right direction to figure out what's up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Rostov said:
what's the convention for integrating an inverse function representing a function that you don't know?

Not so much that point of view, but more like the reverse. The phrase "using X=F-1(U)" means use this change of variables to change the integral for E[X] into an integral in terms of F-1(u) and du.

Related to Finding Expectation from the inverse CDF.

1. What is the inverse CDF method for finding expectation?

The inverse CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) method is a mathematical technique used to find the expectation, or average value, of a continuous random variable. It involves first finding the CDF of the random variable, then using the inverse function to find the value of the random variable at a given probability. This value is then multiplied by the probability to find the expectation.

2. How does the inverse CDF method differ from other methods of finding expectation?

The inverse CDF method differs from other methods, such as the mean and median, by taking into account the entire distribution of the random variable. It considers all possible values of the random variable and their associated probabilities, rather than just the central tendency of the distribution.

3. When should the inverse CDF method be used to find expectation?

The inverse CDF method is most commonly used for continuous random variables with known probability distributions. It is particularly useful for finding the expectation of non-linear functions of random variables, as it takes into account the entire distribution rather than just the expected value.

4. Can the inverse CDF method be used for discrete random variables?

Yes, the inverse CDF method can also be used for discrete random variables. However, it is important to note that the CDF for discrete random variables is a step function, so the inverse function may not exist for all probabilities. In these cases, the expectation can be found using other methods, such as the mean or mode.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the inverse CDF method?

One limitation of the inverse CDF method is that it assumes the random variable has a known probability distribution. If the distribution is unknown or cannot be accurately described, this method may not be suitable for finding the expectation. Additionally, the inverse CDF method assumes that the random variable is continuous and has a one-to-one relationship between the probability and the value of the random variable.