Finding element of inverse matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the element in the first row and fourth column of the inverse of matrix A without using determinants or adjoints. It is revealed that the dot-product of the first 3 rows of A with the fourth column of B is 0 and the dot product of the fourth row of A with the fourth column of B is 1. From this, it is determined that the element in the first row and fourth column of B must be 1.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have this matrix A

\[A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 &2 &3 &4 \\ 9 &8 &2 &0 \\ 17 &2 &0 &0 \\ 1 &0 &0 &0 \end{pmatrix}\]

B is defined as the inverse of A. I need to find the element in the first row and fourth column of B, without using determinants, so without using adjoint.

How should I do it then ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that the dot-product of the first 3 rows of $A$ with the fourth column of $B$ is 0, and the dot product of the fourth row of $A$ with the fourth column of $B$ is 1.

let's call this column vector $(b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4)$. We need to find $b_1$. From the last sentence of my previous paragraph, we know that:

$1b_1 + 0b_2 + 0b_3 + 0b_4 = 1$.

Your conclusion?

I didn't see this. Nice one, thanks !

Related to Finding element of inverse matrix

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a square matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. This means that the inverse matrix "undoes" the effects of the original matrix and allows for solving of equations involving the original matrix.

2. Why is finding the inverse matrix useful?

Finding the inverse matrix is useful because it allows for solving for unknown variables in systems of linear equations. It also allows for efficient computation in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. How do you find the inverse matrix?

To find the inverse matrix, the original matrix must first be transformed into reduced row-echelon form using elementary row operations. Then, the identity matrix must be placed next to the original matrix, and the same row operations must be applied to the identity matrix. The resulting matrix will be the inverse matrix.

4. Are all matrices invertible?

No, not all matrices are invertible. For a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix with a non-zero determinant. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible.

5. Can you find the inverse matrix of a non-square matrix?

No, the inverse matrix can only be found for a square matrix. Non-square matrices do not have an inverse.