Finding Eigenvalues for Different r Values

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, eigenvalues are numbers associated with a square matrix that represent the scaling factor for the corresponding eigenvector. They are important in science as they allow us to understand the behavior of linear systems and make predictions about their future states. To find eigenvalues, we need to solve a characteristic equation by subtracting the identity matrix from the given matrix and taking the determinant. The r value, or rank, of a matrix affects the number and type of eigenvalues it has. Finding eigenvalues for different r values has applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and economics. Eigenvalues can be negative or complex numbers, which can provide valuable information about the stability and behavior of real-world systems.
Dustinsfl
$$
\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}
-\sigma & \sigma & 0\\
1 & -1 & -\sqrt{b(r - 1)}\\
\sqrt{b(r - 1)} & \sqrt{b(r - 1)} & - b
\end{pmatrix}
$$
From a quick try and error, I was able to find that when $r = 1.3456171$ we will have 3 negative eigenvalues.
But when $r = 1.3456172$, there will be a complex-conjugate pair of eigenvalues.
Is there a mathematically more elegant way to determine this r value?
$b = \frac{8}{3}$ and $\sigma = 10$

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}
-\sigma & \sigma & 0\\
1 & -1 & -\sqrt{b(r - 1)}\\
\sqrt{b(r - 1)} & \sqrt{b(r - 1)} & - b
\end{pmatrix}
$$
From a quick try and error, I was able to find that when $r = 1.3456171$ we will have 3 negative eigenvalues.
But when $r = 1.3456172$, there will be a complex-conjugate pair of eigenvalues.
Is there a mathematically more elegant way to determine this r value?
$b = \frac{8}{3}$ and $\sigma = 10$
This is an interesting problem. The eigenvalue equation is $\det(\mathcal{J} - \lambda I) = 0$, which simplifies to $$\lambda^3 + (b+\sigma+1)\lambda^2 + b(r+\sigma)\lambda + 2b\sigma(r-1) = 0.\qquad(1)$$ At the critical value of $r$ (the one where the bifurcation occurs, from three real roots to a complex conjugate pair), the eigenvalue equation will have a repeated root. That root will also be a root of the derived equation. So differentiate the eigenvalue equation to get $$3\lambda^2 +2(b+\sigma+1)\lambda + b(r+\sigma) = 0.\qquad(2)$$ Solve those equations together, to find that $$\lambda = \frac{18b\sigma(r-1) - b(b+\sigma+1)(r+\sigma)}{2(b+\sigma+1)^2 -6b(r+\sigma)}.$$ The next stage is to substitute that value of $\lambda$ into equation (2), to get a cubic equation for $r$. If you have stamina and patience enough to do that, you should find that, for the given values of $b$ and $\sigma$, one of the solutions is $r = 1.345617...$. (Rather you than me, though. (Yawn) )

Last edited:
Opalg said:
Solve those equations together, to find that $$\lambda = \frac{18b\sigma(r-1) - b(b+\sigma+1)(r+\sigma)}{2(b+\sigma+1)^2 -6b(r+\sigma)}.$$
How did you get this lambda? I solved for the quadratic and got something different. I also set the quadratic and cubic equal and then solved for lambda but didn't arrive at this lambda either.

dwsmith said:
How did you get this lambda? I solved for the quadratic and got something different. I also set the quadratic and cubic equal and then solved for lambda but didn't arrive at this lambda either.
Starting from $$\lambda^3 + (b+\sigma+1)\lambda^2 + b(r+\sigma)\lambda + 2b\sigma(r-1) = 0\qquad(1)$$ and $$3\lambda^2 +2(b+\sigma+1)\lambda + b(r+\sigma) = 0,\qquad(2)$$ I multiplied (1) by 3, and (2) by $\lambda$, and subtracted, getting $$(b+\sigma+1)\lambda^2 + b(r+\sigma)\lambda + 6b\sigma(r-1) = 0.\qquad(3)$$ I then multiplied (2) by $(b+\sigma+1)$, and (3) by 3, and again subtracted, to get the equation $$\lambda = \frac{18b\sigma(r-1) - b(b+\sigma+1)(r+\sigma)}{2(b+\sigma+1)^2 -6b(r+\sigma)}.$$

There are a few different approaches that can be used to find the eigenvalues for different values of r in this matrix. One method is to use the characteristic polynomial, which is found by taking the determinant of the matrix $\mathcal{J} - \lambda I$, where $\lambda$ is the eigenvalue and $I$ is the identity matrix. This polynomial can then be solved for values of r that result in specific eigenvalues.

Another approach is to use the fact that the trace of a matrix is equal to the sum of its eigenvalues. In this case, the trace of the matrix is $-11 + \sqrt{b(r-1)}$, so if we can find values of r that make the trace equal to the desired eigenvalues, we can determine the corresponding eigenvalues.

Additionally, we can use the fact that the determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. By setting the determinant of $\mathcal{J}$ equal to 0, we can find values of r that result in eigenvalues of 0, which can then be used to find the remaining eigenvalues.

Overall, there are multiple ways to find the eigenvalues for different values of r in this matrix, and the most appropriate method may depend on the specific values of r and the desired eigenvalues.

Related to Finding Eigenvalues for Different r Values

What are eigenvalues and why are they important in science?

Eigenvalues are a set of numbers associated with a square matrix that represent the scaling factor for the corresponding eigenvector. They are important in science because they allow us to understand the behavior of linear systems and make predictions about their future states.

How do you find eigenvalues for a given matrix?

To find eigenvalues for a matrix, we first need to set up and solve a characteristic equation. This equation involves subtracting the identity matrix from the given matrix and taking the determinant. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

What is the significance of different r values in finding eigenvalues?

The r value, also known as the rank, of a matrix is the number of linearly independent rows or columns it has. The maximum number of eigenvalues a matrix can have is equal to its r value. Therefore, different r values can affect the number and type of eigenvalues a matrix has.

What are the applications of finding eigenvalues for different r values?

Finding eigenvalues for different r values has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics to model and analyze systems. It is also used in data analysis and image processing techniques.

Can eigenvalues be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be negative or complex numbers. This often occurs when dealing with matrices that represent real-world systems. The presence of negative or complex eigenvalues can provide valuable information about the stability and behavior of these systems.