Finding eigenlines & eigenvalues

• Thread starter Roodles01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the conversation is about finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given matrix through the method of substitution and solving simultaneous equations. The person asking the question is struggling to understand how the equations reduce to a single equation, but with the help of others, they are able to find the solution. The original matrix is (11/4 -3/4) (-1/4 9/4) and the final equation for finding the eigenline is x=y.
Roodles01
In my example I have matrix A = (1 2)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (3 2)

Finding the eigenvalue through the method I understand & can get the result

i.e.
k = 4 & -1

I suspect my algebra is the shaky link, here, but to find the eigenline I find a bit more of a challenge.

OK I start by substituting the eigenvalue into the eigenvector equation;
Ax = kx
giving
(1 2) (x) = 4 (x)
(3 2) (y)...(y)

which gives rise to the following simultaneous equations
x + 2y = 4x
3x + 2y = 4y

Now the bit I don't get . . .
How do these both reduce to 3x - 2y = 0

I'm sure it's simple & I can't see the wood for the trees, but this is stupidly defeating me.. . . . Grrr!

Please could someone point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn, it's so easy to suddenly see the solution.
OK I'm done

x + 2y = 4x
3x+ 2y =4y

goes to
-3x + 2y = 0
3x - 2y = 0

both reduce to
3x - 2y = 0

Thank you.

All the other examples I have had led to the simultaneous equations reducing to a single equation, from which I can find the eigenline equation for each eigenvalue (2 in this case).

The simultaneous equation I have now is;
3/4 x - 3/4 y = 0
-1/4 x - 1/4 y = 0

I am assuming I have the negative value wrong, but I may not, I suppose, so how can I get back to a single equation so I can find the eigenline equation for each eigenvalue.

Please tell us what the matrix in this problem is so that we can tell whether or not 2 really is an eigenvalue.

(11/4 -3/4)
(-1/4 9/4)

This is the original matrix. Thank you.

Roodles01 said:
All the other examples I have had led to the simultaneous equations reducing to a single equation, from which I can find the eigenline equation for each eigenvalue (2 in this case).

The simultaneous equation I have now is;
3/4 x - 3/4 y = 0
-1/4 x - 1/4 y = 0

I am assuming I have the negative value wrong, but I may not, I suppose, so how can I get back to a single equation so I can find the eigenline equation for each eigenvalue.

based on the matrix you provided, the second equation should be:

-(1/4)x + (1/4)y = 0.

thus BOTH equations lead to:

x = y.

Related to Finding eigenlines & eigenvalues

1. What are eigenlines and eigenvalues?

Eigenlines and eigenvalues are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra to describe the properties of a square matrix. Eigenlines are the lines that remain unchanged when a matrix is applied to them, while eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that represent how much the eigenlines are stretched or contracted by the matrix.

2. How are eigenlines and eigenvalues used in scientific research?

Eigenlines and eigenvalues have various applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. They can be used to solve systems of equations, analyze the behavior of dynamical systems, and understand the properties of physical systems.

3. What is the process for finding eigenlines and eigenvalues?

The process for finding eigenlines and eigenvalues involves first calculating the characteristic polynomial of a square matrix, then finding the roots of this polynomial to determine the eigenvalues. Next, the corresponding eigenvectors can be found using matrix operations. The resulting eigenlines and eigenvalues can then be used to analyze the properties of the matrix.

4. Can eigenlines and eigenvalues be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, eigenlines and eigenvalues can be negative or complex numbers. In fact, complex eigenvalues often arise in systems with oscillatory behavior. Negative eigenvalues can also occur, particularly in systems with unstable behavior.

5. Are there any real-world examples of eigenlines and eigenvalues?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of eigenlines and eigenvalues. For instance, in structural engineering, eigenvalues can be used to analyze the stability of a building or bridge. In quantum mechanics, eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to describe the energy states of a particle in a potential well. In data analysis, eigenvalues can be used to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and identify important features.