Finding domain of a function with square root in bottom of fraction\infty

In summary, the domain of the function $h(x) = 1 / \sqrt[4]{x^2 - 5x}$ is the set of all real numbers except for $x = 0$ and $x = 5$. This is because the expression $x(x-5)$ must be positive for the function to be defined, and the two critical points at $x = 0$ and $x = 5$ divide the real number line into three intervals. By testing a value in each interval, we can determine that the sign of the expression alternates between positive and negative, and the intervals with a positive sign correspond to the domain of the function.
tmt1
I need to find the domain of this function.$$h(x) = 1 / \sqrt[4]{x^2 - 5x}$$

So, I understand that I need to set

$$x^2 -5x > 0$$

from that I get

$$ x(x-5) > 0$$
and

$$ x > 5$$

However, the answer in the textbook is given:

$$ ( \infty, 0) \cup (5, \infty)$$

Which mean that the graph has a domain including x values of less than 0 and greater? Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I need to find the domain of this function.$$h(x) = 1 / \sqrt[4]{x^2 - 5x}$$

So, I understand that I need to set

$$x^2 -5x > 0$$

from that I get

$$ x(x-5) > 0$$
and

$$ x > 5$$

However, the answer in the textbook is given:

$$ ( \infty, 0) \cup (5, \infty)$$

Which mean that the graph has a domain including x values of less than 0 and greater? Can someone explain this to me?

Hi tmt,

The product of 2 numbers is positive if either both numbers are positive, or if both numbers are negative.

It appears you have only considered the case where both are positive.
What do you get if both numbers would be negative?

You have almost made it :

$$x(x - 5) > 0$$

As ILS said, both of the factors must be either positive or negative. If both are positive, then $x > 0$ and $x > 5$ and pick the larger of these two ($x > 5$) to make the product positive. If both are negative, $x < 0$ and $x < 5$ and you'd have to pick smaller of these two $(x < 0)$ to make this work. (Why?)

You have correctly determined:

\(\displaystyle x(x-5)>0\)

There are two points on the number line over which the expression on the left will change sign, and those two critical points are:

\(\displaystyle x=0,5\)

So, divide the real number line in the three intervals:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0),\,(0,5),\,(5,\infty)\)

Because all of the roots of the expression on the left are of odd multiplicity (they occur an odd number of times...once in this case), we know the sign of the expression will alternate across the three intervals.

So, pick a test value in any of the intervals, and check to see what the sign of the expression is for that test value. The let the signs of the other two intervals alternate with respect to your test interval. And finally, all intervals for which the sign is positive will be a part of your solution.

I can explain the answer given in the textbook. The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. In this case, the function is defined for all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = 5.

To understand this, let's look at the original function: h(x) = 1 / √[x^2 - 5x]. The square root function (√) is only defined for non-negative numbers. So, for the function to be defined, the expression inside the square root must be greater than or equal to 0. This leads to the inequality x^2 - 5x ≥ 0. Solving this inequality, we get x ≥ 0 and x ≤ 5.

However, since the original function has a denominator of √[x^2 - 5x], we need to consider the possibility of this denominator being equal to 0. This happens when x = 0 or x = 5. Therefore, the domain of the function is all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = 5.

To represent this in interval notation, we write the domain as (−∞, 0) ∪ (0, 5) ∪ (5, ∞). This means that the function is defined for all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = 5.

In summary, the answer given in the textbook is correct and takes into account both the domain of the square root function and the possibility of the denominator being equal to 0.

Related to Finding domain of a function with square root in bottom of fraction\infty

1. What is the domain of a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction?

The domain of a function refers to all the possible input values for which the function is defined. In this case, the square root in the bottom of the fraction can only be defined for non-zero values. Therefore, the domain would be all real numbers except for 0.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction?

To determine the domain of a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction, you need to find all the values that would make the denominator equal to 0. These values would not be included in the domain. Additionally, since a square root cannot be taken of a negative number, any values that would result in a negative number under the square root should also be excluded from the domain.

3. Can a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction have an infinite domain?

Yes, a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction can have an infinite domain. This can happen when the function has a denominator that approaches 0 as the input values increase or decrease without bound, resulting in an infinitely large domain.

4. Are there any restrictions on the input values for a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction?

Yes, there are restrictions on the input values for a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction. As mentioned before, the input value cannot be 0 or result in a negative number under the square root. Additionally, the input values should also not result in any other type of mathematical error, such as division by 0 or imaginary numbers.

5. How do you graph a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction?

To graph a function with a square root in the bottom of a fraction, you can plot points by choosing different input values and calculating the corresponding output values. It is also helpful to determine the domain and any restrictions on the input values before graphing. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the graph of the function accurately.