Finding density of fluid from a mass on a spring in fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up the sum of forces with unknown values for the spring, buoyancy, and normal force. The speaker attempts to find the length and force of the spring using a triangle, but runs into issues when trying to find the density. They also mention the importance of posting homework questions in the appropriate subject forum for better responses.
zuccj01
http://imgur.com/rE7jLlC

When setting up the sum of forces I had an unknown value for the spring, buoyancy, and normal force. What I tried was setting up a triangle to find the length of the spring, which was 1.039m with that I could find the force acting on the spring, 4.3N, which would be the buoyant force I believe, but when plugging it into find the density my answer is higher than the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
We ask the users here at PF try to post their HW questions in the appropriate subject forum, which is why your thread appears now in the Introductory Physics HW Forum rather than the Pre-Calculus Mathematics HW Forum. Proper placement of these threads will help you get more users looking at your thread and trying to help.

Thought that was the right one sorry.

Related to Finding density of fluid from a mass on a spring in fluid

1. What is the purpose of finding the density of a fluid with a mass on a spring?

The purpose of finding the density of a fluid with a mass on a spring is to determine the density of the fluid, which is a measure of its mass per unit volume. This information can be used to identify the type of fluid and to understand its properties and behavior.

2. How is the density of a fluid calculated from a mass on a spring?

The density of a fluid can be calculated by dividing the mass of the object attached to the spring by the volume of the fluid displaced. This volume can be determined by measuring the displacement of the fluid when the object is immersed in it.

3. What are the limitations of using a mass on a spring to find the density of a fluid?

There are several limitations to using a mass on a spring to find the density of a fluid. These include the assumption that the object is completely submerged in the fluid and that the spring is linear and obeys Hooke's law. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as temperature and pressure changes.

4. How can the accuracy of the density measurement be improved?

The accuracy of the density measurement can be improved by using more precise instruments, ensuring the object is fully submerged in the fluid, and taking multiple measurements to account for any variations. Additionally, controlling for external factors such as temperature and pressure can help to improve the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How is the density of a fluid affected by temperature and pressure?

The density of a fluid is affected by temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the density of a fluid decreases because the molecules have more energy and are able to move further apart. Conversely, as pressure increases, the density of a fluid also increases because the molecules are forced closer together. It is important to control for these factors when measuring the density of a fluid.