Finding Currents in a Circuit: Kirchhoff's Law

In summary: The other equations follow similarly. I just implemented the matrix multiplication in Mathematica.I came up with these equations using the same method I suggested to you earlier. I used the loop currents as shown in the figure, and wrote three KVL equations for the three loops shown. You will notice that the junction equation C is satisfied identically. That is the whole point of Kirchhoff's junction rule. If you have correctly identified the currents passing through the components, the sum of those currents will be zero at any junction. In short, it's a check on your work.I hope this clears it up for you. If not, you'll need to be more specific about what is confusing you.
Blu3eyes

Homework Statement

Find the currents
[PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7042/78217840.png

Homework Equations

Using Kirchhoff's Law, Loop, Junction rule

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem here is the inside circuit .I try to solve it as one emf, one resistance, but honestly I do not know how to start.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can replace the inner loop with a simple equivalent circuit.
Do the sum of potentials around the three loops.
I5 = I2 + I3.
I4 relates simply to the other I's, so you have only 3 unknowns.

Delphi51 said:
I don't think you can replace the inner loop with a simple equivalent circuit.
I5 = I2 + I3.
I4 relates simply to the other I's, so you have only 3 unknowns.

Can you please be a little more specific?
I understand I5=I23=I2 + I3 (series circuit -> same current)

But how should I deal with the inner circuit?
Emf2 and emf3 are in parallel -> same Voltage
V terminal: Vt2 = Vt3 ?

I don't understand "Vt2 = Vt3".
Define I2 and I3 both to the right. Do we still say the current comes out of the big end on the battery symbol?
Then -V2 + I2*R2 - I3*R3 + V3 = 0
where V2 is the potential on emf2 and V3 is the potential across emf3.

Delphi51 said:
I don't understand "Vt2 = Vt3".
Define I2 and I3 both to the right. Do we still say the current comes out of the big end on the battery symbol?
Then -V2 + I2*R2 - I3*R3 + V3 = 0
where V2 is the potential on emf2 and V3 is the potential across emf3.

Sorry I am not familiar with conventional current, but I am kinda getting the idea, (I believe I could do it with electron current.)
So, I would say I5= -V2 + I2*R2 - I3*R3 + V3. and then have 3 equations with 3 unknowns I1, I5, and I4.
Solve for these first and then come back to the inner circuit.

Do you have numerical values for the components, or are you expected to solve for all the currents symbolically?

would say I5= -V2 + I2*R2 - I3*R3 + V3
units of current on the left, voltage on the right - can't be correct

Why not I5 = I2 + I3?

For the inner loop, the idea is to write that the sum of the potentials around the loop is zero. By all means use electron current directions. Be sure you are clear on which direction you define each current as going so you get the right signs on all the terms.

gneill said:
Do you have numerical values for the components, or are you expected to solve for all the currents symbolically?

Yes, I do have numerical values for resistors and emfs.
[tex]\epsilon1[/tex]=8V,[tex]\epsilon2[/tex]=12V,[tex]\epsilon3[/tex]=24V,[tex]\epsilon4[/tex]=16V

R1=150[tex]\Omega[/tex], R2=250[tex]\Omega[/tex], R3=300[tex]\Omega[/tex], R4=600[tex]\Omega[/tex], R5=350[tex]\Omega[/tex]

You have a choice of methods to solve this circuit. For example, you could transform the inner loop to a Thevenin equivalent, as you were hinting at earlier. Then you would have two loop equations to write to solve for the rest.

The problem with this method is that your stated objective is to find all the currents through all the components. If you 'transform away' some of the components, they will no longer be 'accessible' for analysis. I suppose you could solve for the net voltage across the in-circuit Theveninized loop and then convert back to the original components and analyze that portion separately. Sounds like a lot of extra work though.

Instead, just write three KVL loop equations, one for each loop. Three equation, three unknowns. Use the loop currents to find the individual component currents.

Here is how I did with junction, loop rules:
[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7042/78217840.png
Junction C:
I1 + I2 + I3 +I4 + I5=0
I1 + I2 + I3 +I4 + I2 + I3 = 0 (I5= I2 + I3)
I1 +2I2 +2I3 +I4=0

Loop ABCHGF:
8 - 150I1 + 250I2 -12 -350I5=0
-150I1 -100I2 -350I3=4

Loop FJICDE:
-350I5 -24 -300I3 +600I4 +16=0
-350I2 -650I3 +600I4=8

Loop GHIJ:
12 -250I2 +300I3 +24=0
-250I2 +300I3 = -36

I came up with 4 equations, 4 unknowns. Not sure how you did with 3 equations, 3 unknowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I5 = I2 + I3. Currents don't materialize out of nowhere. Your junction C equation seems to be in trouble.

gneill said:
But I5 = I2 + I3. Currents don't materialize out of nowhere. Your junction C equation seems to be in trouble.

I don't quite get you there:confused:

Three loops, as shown in the figure. In order to determine the individual currents through the various components, determine which of the loop currents pass through that component and sum them (according to direction).

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{ccc}R1 + R2 + R5&-R2&-R5\\-R2&R2 + R3&-R3\\-R5&-R3&R3 + R4 + R5\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}i1&i2&i3\end{array} \right) = \left(\begin{array}{c}-E1 + E2&-E2 - E3&E3 - E4\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Yields

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}i1&i2&i3\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{c}-41.979&-100.63&-29.505\end{array}\right) mA [/tex]

Attachments

• Loops3.jpg
    Loops3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 449
Blu3eyes said:
I don't quite get you there:confused:

You've written that at junction C the sum of the currents is

I1 + I2 + I3 +I4 + I5=0

But clearly I5 = I2 + I3 from your schematic.

On the second and third equations, is it:
-R2 "+" R2 + R3 - R3
-R5 - R3 "+" R3 +R4 +R5

And I really don't understand how you came up with these equation.
1st equation: where did the extra -R2 and -R5 come from?
To finish the loop , shouldn't (R1 + R2 +R5)i1= -E1 +E2 is enough to finish the loop?
The same with 2nd and 3rd equations.

Last edited:
Blu3eyes said:
-R2 "+" R2 + R3 - R3
-R5 - R3 "+" R3 +R4 +R5

I cast the equations into matrix form. It's a 3 x 3 resistance matrix multiplied by a vector of currents, set equal to a voltage vector. In short, R*I = V. To extract the individual equations, multiply the resistance matrix by the current vector. The first equation would be

(R1 + R2 + R5)*i1 - R2*i2 - R5*i3 = -E1 + E2

Blu3eyes said:
-R2 "+" R2 + R3 - R3
-R5 - R3 "+" R3 +R4 +R5

And I really don't understand how you came up with these equation.
1st equation: where did the extra -R2 and -R5 come from?
To finish the loop , shouldn't (R1 + R2 +R5)i1= -E1 +E2 is enough to finish the loop?
The same with 2nd and 3rd equations.

Take the first equation, which represents the first loop for current i1. If you look at the current loops that I drew, i2 and i3 both contribute, passing through R2 and R5 respectively.

Can I assume that you used conventional current on the resistors?
Currents come in with (+) and out with (-)

Blu3eyes said:
Can I assume that you used conventional current on the resistors?
Currents come in with (+) and out with (-)

I always use conventional current. It makes it sooooo much easier to converse with colleagues that way. It's the latest thing. In fact, it's been the latest thing for a couple of hundred years now!

gneill said:
I always use conventional current. It makes it sooooo much easier to converse with colleagues that way. It's the latest thing. In fact, it's been the latest thing for a couple of hundred years now!

Unfortunately, my physics course is taught with electron current. Yes, I was introduced conventional current but it was like 10 minutes lecture. Assignments are done using electron current, lectures are same.

The equations make sense to me now.
So to figure out the individual currents:
I1=i1
I4=i3
I5=i1+i3
I2=i1+i2
I3=i2+i3

Blu3eyes said:
The equations make sense to me now.
So to figure out the individual currents:
I1=i1
I4=i3
I5=i1+i3
I2=i1+i2
I3=i2+i3

If you look at the figure, the currents i1, i2, and i3 may run in different direction through any given component. So be sure to 'add' appropriately. Pick a direction that you want to assign to the current through the component, and add the current that goes in that direction and subtract the current that goes in the opposite direction.

So, suppose I decided that I wanted to publish the value of the current through R2 in the "right to left" direction through the resistor. Then I would say that the current is i1 - i2.

Good?

gneill said:
If you look at the figure, the currents i1, i2, and i3 may run in different direction through any given component. So be sure to 'add' appropriately. Pick a direction that you want to assign to the current through the component, and add the current that goes in that direction and subtract the current that goes in the opposite direction.

So, suppose I decided that I wanted to publish the value of the current through R2 in the "right to left" direction through the resistor. Then I would say that the current is i1 - i2.

Good?

I'm still not sure. Does the battery do anything with the +,- here?

Blu3eyes said:
I'm still not sure. Does the battery do anything with the +,- here?

Nope. All the influences of the sources were taken into account when the equations were determined.

Like you said, pick R2, direction from right to left, R2 would be (+)R2(-)
i1, which is clockwise, hits the (-) of R2. On the other hand, i2 hits the (+) of R2.
i1 goes the opposite direction with which I chose on R2. i2 goes the same direction with R2. If I was right, it should be i2-i1

Blu3eyes said:
Like you said, pick R2, direction from right to left, R2 would be (+)R2(-)
i1, which is clockwise, hits the (-) of R2. On the other hand, i2 hits the (+) of R2.
i1 goes the opposite direction with which I chose on R2. i2 goes the same direction with R2. If I was right, it should be i2-i1

Sorry, I don't understand your nomenclature.

If you want to quote a (conventional) current I passing through resistor R2 that is flowing from right to left, then it will be I = i1 - i2.

The two loop currents i1 and i2 (and i3 as a matter of fact) are both clockwise currents. i1 flows through R2 from right to left. i2 flows through i2 from left to right.

Now, when the equations are solved the values for the currents i1, i2, and i3, all turned out to be negative. No problem, that just means that the assumed directions (clockwise ) was not what they turned out to be. This is not a problem. The actual currents are still determined by the simple expedient of the appropriate sums. No conversion or interpretation is required.

So, let's once again take the current through R2 as an example. I've calculated that i1 = -41.979mA, and i2 = -100.62 mA. i1 flows right to left through R2, and i2 flows left to right. That makes the "right to left" current though R2 [-41.979 - (-100.62)]mA = 58.65 mA. R2 is passing 58.65 mA, from right to left, of conventional current.

Related to Finding Currents in a Circuit: Kirchhoff's Law

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. It is used to determine the flow of current in a circuit and can be applied to both series and parallel circuits.

2. Why is Kirchhoff's Law important?

Kirchhoff's Law is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex circuits. By applying this law, we can determine the current values at different points in a circuit and identify any potential problems or malfunctions.

3. How do you use Kirchhoff's Law to find currents in a circuit?

To use Kirchhoff's Law, you first need to identify all the junctions in the circuit. Then, write down the equation for each junction, where the sum of currents entering the junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of the currents in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Law can be applied to any type of circuit, including both DC and AC circuits. As long as the circuit is made up of passive components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, Kirchhoff's Law can be used to find currents.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's Law?

One limitation of Kirchhoff's Law is that it assumes ideal circuit conditions, such as no resistance in wires and perfect connections. In real-world circuits, there will always be some resistance and imperfections, which may affect the accuracy of the current values calculated using Kirchhoff's Law.