Finding Core Number On Queue and LSF

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core Queue
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the bqueues command in LSF to find out the largest number of cores that can be used on a specific queue. The speaker mentions that LSF works with more general concepts than just the number of cores, such as the number of processors and processor slots. They also mention that LSF does not have knowledge about how a job utilizes multiprocessing or multithreading, and that it is up to the users or developers to control this by setting appropriate environment variables or using shell scripts.
Soaring Crane
I’m trying to find out the largest number of cores that can be used on a specific queue in LSF with the bqueues command. I’ve used the option –l after reading the manual, but I don’t see any information about cores listed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
It's a while since I used LSF, but IIRC, LSF works with more general concepts than "number of cores". Remember one LSF job queue might be starting jobs on several different computers with different hardware specifications, and also one LSF job might be running in parallel on several computers (not just several cores of one computer).

LSF has the concept of the number of "processors" that a each computer has, and the number of "processor slots" that each job requests. It's up to the humans who configure LSF how to map those onto the actual hardware available. For example the number of "processors" might be used as measure of different CPU speeds on different single-processor computers, not necessarily the number of physical cores.

IIRC LSF doesn't know anything about how a job uses multiprocessinig or multi-threading once it is running. If you want to control that (e.g. run four job streams with 4, 2, 1, 1 cores available on a single 8-core machine) either you have to trust your users not to abuse the system, or you write shell scripts to set the approporiate environment variables or whatever, to tell and/or enforce what resources a program can use when it runs. That still means trusting the software developers to do it right - and of course the users and developers may be the same people, in sone situations.

Related to Finding Core Number On Queue and LSF

1. How do I find the core number on a queue in LSF?

To find the core number on a queue in LSF, you can use the "bqueues" command. This will list all the queues and their respective core numbers in the LSF system. You can also use the "bhosts" command to see the number of cores available on each host in the queue.

2. Can I change the core number on a queue in LSF?

Yes, you can change the core number on a queue in LSF by using the "badmin" command. With this command, you can modify the core number for a specific queue or for the entire LSF system. However, it is important to note that changing the core number may affect the performance of your jobs, so it should be done carefully.

3. How do I check the current load of a queue in LSF?

To check the current load of a queue in LSF, you can use the "bqueues" command with the "-l" option. This will display detailed information about the queue, including the current load and the number of pending jobs.

4. Can I prioritize certain jobs in a queue in LSF?

Yes, you can prioritize certain jobs in a queue in LSF by using the "bsub" command with the "-sp" option. This will allow you to specify a priority value for your job, with a higher value indicating a higher priority. This can help ensure that your important jobs are processed first.

5. How do I check the status of my jobs in a queue in LSF?

To check the status of your jobs in a queue in LSF, you can use the "bjobs" command. This will display a list of all the jobs in the queue, along with their status, such as running, pending, or completed. You can also use the "-u" option to only display your own jobs in the queue.