Finding Constants to Solution Given 2nd Order, Nonlinear DE

In summary, the student is trying to find the constants A and B that solve the equation for phi. He is using the soliton solution and trying to eliminate x from the equation. He is getting stuck on finding a set of constants A and B that make the equation equal to zero.
rakeru

Homework Statement

Okay, here's the deal:I have been given a second order nonlinear differential equation, and I have also been given the general solution with constants A and B. I am supposed to find the constants A and B. The solution represents a fermion at rest, since the solution does not vary with time.

Homework Equations

The differential equation is as follows: (d^2phi/dt^2)-(d^2phi/dx^2)-phi+phi^3=0

The soliton solution is:Phi(x)=A(tanh(Bx))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have five pages of attempts to solve this. One professor told me it was impossible, but the professor that I am doing research with told me that it is possible. First, I found the first and second derivatives of phi, then, I input them into the differential equation. The first term goes out because the particle is at rest. Then, I tried different methods.
I tried using hyperbolic trig identities.
I tried writing the equation in terms of sinh and cosh and then tried to eliminate some things. He told me that I need to end up with a polynomial that has A and B and no x, and that I must have hyperbolic tangent on both sides of the equation to find the constants.
I also tried getting a polynomial with tanh(Bx) representing a variable p and then I got factors A, p, and the polynomial. If the equation equals zero, then at least one of those factors must be zero, so I set them equal to zero, but I still have x in there. I tried setting tanh (Bx) (aka p) equal to zero and setting the polynomial to zero and then I solved the polynomial for p and made the p equation equal to zero, however, it looked very complicated and the professor said it was a simple calculation, and even then, that would mean that phi is zero, and that is not the case because I am supposed to use phi to get energy density.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're making this harder than it is. The solution is just a 2-3 lines. Can your write down d^2phi/dx^2? Do you remember that 1-tanh[x]^2 = sech[x]^2. Also remember that you are trying to find an A and B that solve the equation, so you are free to choose A and B to make the problem simplify.

d^2phi/dx^2= -2AB^2tanh(Bx), correct?

Now I have gotten the equation

tanh(Bx)[2AB^2-A+A^3tanh^2(Bx)]=0

I set 2AB^2-A+A^3tanh^2(Bx)=0

tanh(Bx)= sqrt[2B-1]/A

But now what? Was I supposed to change the tanh^2(Bx) into 1-sech^2(Bx)?

rakeru said:
d^2phi/dx^2= -2AB^2tanh(Bx), correct?
No. You're not differentiating this correctly. The first derivative of tanh(x) is sech^2(x). The second derivative is more complicated than just tanh[x]. Try again.

The second derivative is

phi''=-2AB^2tanh(Bx)sech^2(Bx)= -2AB^2tanh(Bx)+2AB^2tanh^3(Bx)

and so

tanh(Bx)[2AB^2-A]+tanh^3(Bx)[-2AB^2+A^3]=0

I keep getting that phi is zero.

OK, better. Of course phi = 0 is a solution, but there is another solution. Suppose those two coefficients (2AB^2 -A), and (-2AB^2+A^3) are both zero. Is there a set of A and B that can make that happen?

Ahhh yes. I understand!
Thank you very much :)

Alright, I ended up with A=+/- 1 and B=1/sqrt(2).

Sounds good to me. See, it wasn't that hard after all!

Related to Finding Constants to Solution Given 2nd Order, Nonlinear DE

1. What is a second order, nonlinear differential equation (DE)?

A second order, nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function and is not linear, meaning that the function and its derivatives are not raised to the first power. This type of DE is more complex than a first order, linear DE and often requires advanced mathematical techniques to find a solution.

2. Why is it important to find constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE?

Finding the constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE is important because it allows us to fully define the solution and determine the behavior of the system described by the DE. Without the constants, the solution would not be complete and we would not have a complete understanding of the system.

3. What are some methods for finding constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE?

There are several methods for finding constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. These methods involve using known information about the DE, such as initial conditions, to determine the values of the constants in the solution.

4. Can numerical methods be used to find constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE?

Yes, numerical methods can also be used to find constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE. These methods involve using a computer or calculator to approximate the values of the constants based on a set of initial conditions and a given accuracy level. While these methods may not provide an exact solution, they can be useful for solving complex DEs that do not have analytical solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding constants in a solution to a second order, nonlinear DE. For example, in physics, these equations can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or the behavior of a spring. In engineering, they can be used to analyze the stability of a system or the vibrations of a structure. In economics, they can be used to model population growth or economic trends. These are just a few examples of how second order, nonlinear DEs and the process of finding constants in their solutions can be applied in various fields.