Finding Conserved Quantities of a Given Lagrangian

In summary, the given system with Lagrangian L = A\dot{q}^{2}_{1} + B\dot{q_{1}}\dot{q_{2}} + C\dot{q}^{2}_{2} - D(2q_{1}-q_{2})^{4}\dot{q_{2}} has two independent conserved quantities. One is found through the symmetry q_{1}\rightarrow q_{1}+C and q_{2}\rightarrow q_{2}+2C, with the corresponding conserved quantity 2\dot{q_{1}}(A+B) + (B+4C)\dot{q_{2}} - 2D(2\
pcvrx560

Homework Statement

Find two independent conserved quantities for a system with Lagrangian

[tex] L = A\dot{q}^{2}_{1} + B\dot{q_{1}}\dot{q_{2}} + C\dot{q}^{2}_{2} - D(2q_{1}-q_{2})^{4}\dot{q_{2}} [/tex]

where A, B, C, and D are constants.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only found one symmetry,

[tex] q_{1}\rightarrow q_{1}+C [/tex]
[tex] q_{2}\rightarrow q_{2}+2C [/tex]

with the corresponding conserved quantity

[tex] 2\dot{q_{1}}(A+B) + (B+4C)\dot{q_{2}} - 2D(2\dot{q_{1}}-\dot{q_2})^{4} [/tex]

The other symmetry and conserved quantity is not so obvious to me.

This is actually a homework assignment I got back and am looking over for a test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I understand why the first symmetry is conserved, but I don't understand why it's the only one. I feel like there should be another symmetry and corresponding conserved quantity. Can anyone lend a hand?

Related to Finding Conserved Quantities of a Given Lagrangian

1. What are conserved quantities in a Lagrangian?

Conserved quantities in a Lagrangian are physical quantities that remain constant throughout the motion of a system. They are derived from symmetries in the Lagrangian and are independent of the specific details of the system.

2. How do you find conserved quantities in a given Lagrangian?

To find conserved quantities in a given Lagrangian, one must first identify any symmetries in the Lagrangian. Then, using Noether's theorem, the corresponding conserved quantity can be derived by finding the corresponding conserved current.

3. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In other words, symmetries in a system lead to conserved quantities.

4. Why are conserved quantities important?

Conserved quantities are important because they provide a deeper understanding of the dynamics of a system. They also help in solving equations of motion, simplifying complex systems, and predicting the behavior of a system over time.

5. Can conserved quantities change over time?

No, conserved quantities do not change over time. This is because they are derived from symmetries in the Lagrangian, which remain constant throughout the motion of a system. Therefore, conserved quantities are constants of motion.