Finding Components of Cross Product for Vectors A and B

In summary: Then take the sine of the result:AxB = (3.94)(5.09)sin(42.79) = 13.62AxB = (1.7i)(4.8)sin(42.79) = 4.04AxB = (0.0)(0.0)sin(42.79) = 0.00
angel120

Homework Statement

Vector A = 3.5i + 1.8j and vector B = 1.7i + 4.8j . Find the components of A x B:

Homework Equations

AxB = AB sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since vector A=3.5i+1.8j and B=1.7i+4.8j, I translated that into vectors. So, A is 3.94 @ 27.77*, and B is 5.09 @ 70.56*. This means that the angle between A and B is 42.79*.

Using the AxB formula, I have 13.62. However, the problem (it's on WebAssign) wants the i, j, and k components.

I tried the AxB formula with the individual i and j components, and I got 4.04 for the i direction, and 5.87 for the j direction. However, they're both wrong, and I have no idea how to find out the k direction...

Help!

Thanks in advance,
-Angel.

Physics news on Phys.org
k is the third dimesion (or 3rd component in this case). A and B are 2 dimensions.

I understand that the i, j, and k components are the x, y, and z directions, respectively. My frustration is that I believe I'm following the correct formula, but I still get the wrong answer. Where is my reasoning flawed?

I have tried the following:
AxB = (3.94)(5.09)sin(42.79) = 13.62, however, WebAssign wants the answer in components.
So, I tried this:
AxB = (3.5i)(1.7i)sin(42.79) = 4.04i

and then
AxB = (1.8)(4.8)sin(42.79) = 5.87j

When I entered these two (out of three) answers, they were both marked wrong.

The formula you try to use is for the magnitude of the vector axb, but the question asks for the vector itself.

Do you know the way to calculate a cross product as if it were a determinant?

axb=|i j k; a_i a_j a_k; b_i b_j b_k|

When you cross two vectors the resultant vector will be orthogonal to both original vectors. Keep that in mind.

You can multiply by components, but:

i x i=0 (same for j x j)
i x j =k
j x i = -k

Try this.
Newer mind the sin. Multiply the two vectors as you'll do for two binomials.

Related to Finding Components of Cross Product for Vectors A and B

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix where the first row is the unit vectors i, j, and k, the second row is the components of vector a, and the third row is the components of vector b.

3. What is the significance of the cross product in physics?

The cross product has many applications in physics, such as calculating torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum. It is also used in vector calculus to solve problems involving surfaces and volumes.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with the cross product?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the order of the vectors into account. The cross product is not commutative, so switching the order of the vectors will result in a different vector. Another mistake is not normalizing the vectors before calculating the cross product, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. How can the cross product be visualized?

The cross product can be visualized as a vector that is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two input vectors. It can also be visualized as the direction that a screw would turn when moving from one vector to the other.