Finding coefficient of linear expansion

In summary, Steel's coefficient of linear expansion is 11x10-6. Over the temperature range of 266 degrees (285 - 19), each centimetre would differ by about 0.002926. This results in a change in length of 0.04095.
imminentfate
Hi there :)

At 19[tex]\circ[/tex]C, a rod is exactly 20.08 cm long on a steel ruler. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven at 285[tex]\circ[/tex]C, where the rod now measures 20.18 cm on the same ruler. What is the coefficient of linear expansion for the material of which the rod is made?

I used the formula for linear expansion
change in L = Lx(coefficient of linear expansion)(change in temperature)

My attempt:

Steel's coefficient of linear expansion as given by my textbook: 11x10-6

So over the temperature range of 266 degrees (285 - 19), each centimetre would differ by about (266)(11x10-6) = 0.002926

Multiplying by 20.18 gives 0.059

Taking this away from 20.18 gives: 20.1209

The change in length will now be: 20.12 - 20.08 = 0.04095

Subbing into the expansion formula:

0.04095 = (20.08)(285 - 19)(a)

a = 7.667x10-6

This is for an assignment, and I just want to see if I'm heading in the right direction

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
imminentfate said:
Hi there :)

At 19[tex]\circ[/tex]C, a rod is exactly 20.08 cm long on a steel ruler. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven at 285[tex]\circ[/tex]C, where the rod now measures 20.18 cm on the same ruler. What is the coefficient of linear expansion for the material of which the rod is made?

I used the formula for linear expansion
change in L = Lx(coefficient of linear expansion)(change in temperature)

My attempt:

Steel's coefficient of linear expansion as given by my textbook: 11x10-6

So over the temperature range of 266 degrees (285 - 19), each centimetre would differ by about (266)(11x10-6) = 0.002926

Multiplying by 20.18 gives 0.059
Looks fine up to here. I don't follow your logic for what you did next.
Taking this away from 20.18 gives: 20.1209

The change in length will now be: 20.12 - 20.08 = 0.04095

Subbing into the expansion formula:

0.04095 = (20.08)(285 - 19)(a)

a = 7.667x10-6

This is for an assignment, and I just want to see if I'm heading in the right direction

Thanks in advance

I suggest you clearly define first the 0.059 that you get. What is it actually? Once you get it you'll be in the right track.

I just thought that since 0.059 is the measurement by which the 'real' and 'expanded' measurements differ on the ruler, taking this away from the 'expanded' value (20.18) will give what the rod's true measurement is.

Is this in any way correct?

I realized what I did wrong, I just submitted my assignment then and got that question right, so thanks for questioning my method and putting me on the right track, much appreciated :)

Sorry, I was unable to respond more quickly, but I'm glad you figured it out.

Related to Finding coefficient of linear expansion

1. What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a physical property that measures the rate at which a material expands or contracts when exposed to changes in temperature. It is denoted by the symbol α and is typically measured in units of per degree Celsius (°C) or per Kelvin (K).

2. How is the coefficient of linear expansion calculated?

The coefficient of linear expansion can be calculated by dividing the change in length of a material by the original length, multiplied by the change in temperature. The formula for calculating α is: α = (ΔL / L0) / ΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, L0 is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. Why is the coefficient of linear expansion important?

Knowing the coefficient of linear expansion is important for understanding how materials will behave when exposed to temperature changes. This information is crucial in engineering and construction, as it helps determine how much a material will expand or contract and how to design structures that can accommodate these changes.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion can be affected by several factors, including the type of material, its crystal structure, and its composition. In general, materials with higher atomic bonding forces tend to have lower coefficients of linear expansion, while materials with weaker bonding forces tend to have higher coefficients of linear expansion.

5. How does the coefficient of linear expansion differ between different materials?

The coefficient of linear expansion can vary greatly between different materials. For example, materials like metals and glass have relatively low coefficients of linear expansion, while materials like rubber and plastic have higher coefficients. This is due to differences in the atomic and molecular structures of these materials, which affect how they respond to changes in temperature.