Finding Chen's Paper: "On the Representation of a Large Even Integer

In summary, the conversation is about finding a copy of Chen's paper titled "On the representation of a large even integer as the sum of a prime and the product of at most two primes." References to the paper are available but not the actual pdf. The paper is from a journal called Sci. Sinica 16 (1973) 157-176. The conversation suggests checking university libraries for access to the journal. Alternatively, a proof of Chen's theorem can be found in Melvyn Nathanson's book "Additive Number Theory, The Classical Bases."
FunkyDwarf
Hi guys,

Not actually a mathematics question as such (sorry) but does anyone know where i can get my hands on a copy of Chen's paper "On the representation of a large even integer as the sum of a prime and the product of at most two primes". For the life of me all i can find is references to it rather than an actual pdf copy, or even any information about the journal it is from (Sci. Sinica 16 (1973) 157-176) ie reference given below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture#cite_note-13

I have access to science direct and springer link but none seem to have it :( Any ideas?

Cheers
-G

EDIT: Ok so i found that its in Scientia Sinica Series A which springerlink has going back to 1997, I'm assuming if they don't have volumes further back they're not available electronically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:
EDIT: Ok so i found that its in Scientia Sinica Series A which springerlink has going back to 1997, I'm assuming if they don't have volumes further back they're not available electronically?

Right. You'd need to find a (university) library that had it.

Bugger, mine only has Series G. Righto, time to get on the wire and bug my 'colleagues' :)
Cheers!

Although not the original paper, the proof of Chen's theorem may be found in Melvyn Nathanson's book "Additive Number Theory, The Classical Bases", Springer, 1996, p. 271 ff., ISBN 0-387-94656-X.

Actually, that's a good book to read even if you do want to read the original...

Related to Finding Chen's Paper: "On the Representation of a Large Even Integer

What is the significance of Chen's paper?

Chen's paper "On the Representation of a Large Even Integer" is significant because it provides a proof for Goldbach's Weak Conjecture, which states that every even number greater than 2 can be written as the sum of two prime numbers. This has been a long-standing mathematical problem and Chen's paper provided a breakthrough in solving it.

What is the main theorem in Chen's paper?

The main theorem in Chen's paper states that every sufficiently large even number can be written as the sum of a prime number and a semiprime number. A semiprime number is a number that is the product of two prime numbers.

How did Chen approach the problem in his paper?

Chen used a method called "Goldbach's Comet" to prove his theorem. This method involves finding pairs of primes that are close to each other and using them to form a semiprime number. Chen then showed that every even number can be written as the sum of a prime and a semiprime by using this method.

What impact did Chen's paper have on the field of mathematics?

Chen's paper had a significant impact on the field of mathematics as it provided a solution to a long-standing problem and opened up new possibilities for further research. It also helped to advance the study of prime numbers and their properties.

How has Chen's paper been used in other areas of science?

Chen's paper has been used in various areas of science, such as cryptography and computer science. The proof of Goldbach's Weak Conjecture has also led to the development of new algorithms and methods for solving mathematical problems. Additionally, Chen's paper has inspired further research and discoveries in the field of number theory.