Finding Centroid of Triangle in First Quadrant

• Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the problem asks to find the centroid of a triangular region in the first quadrant, bounded by the line 4x+y=4, the x-axis, and the y-axis. The equations xbar = My/M and ybar = Mx/M can be used to find the coordinates of the centroid. The limits for x and y when setting up the integral should be checked with a few values and a sketch of the region should also be drawn.
magma_saber

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the triangular region in the first quadrant bounded by the line 4x+y=4, the x-axis, and the y-axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int\delta[/tex]dA
xbar = My/M
ybar = Mx/M

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the boundary for the dy from 0 to 4, and dx from 0 to 4-4x?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, your limits for x can't contain x. They can only depend on y.

so its y-4/4?
also are my limits for dy correct?

No, that's not quite correct either. (I assume you mean (y-4)/4, not y-1.) You should always plug in a few values to do a sanity check. In this case, when y=0, you'd get a negative answer.

Your limits for y are fine. (But I'll note I'm saying this under the assumption that you set things up correctly.)

Did you draw a sketch of the region of integration?

the region would be the triangle from y=4 to y=0 and x=0 and x=1 right?
and is the limit 4-4x?

Related to Finding Centroid of Triangle in First Quadrant

1. How do you find the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant?

The centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant can be found by taking the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of the three vertices. This will give you the coordinates of the centroid, which is the point where all three medians intersect.

2. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant?

The formula for finding the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant is:

x = (x1 + x2 + x3) / 3
y = (y1 + y2 + y3) / 3

Where (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3) are the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

3. Can the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant be outside of the triangle?

No, the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant will always be inside the triangle. This is because the centroid is the point of intersection of the three medians, and each median will always intersect within the triangle.

4. What is the significance of the centroid in a triangle?

The centroid of a triangle has several significant properties. It is the center of mass of the triangle, meaning that if the triangle was a physical object, it would balance perfectly on the centroid. It is also the point where the triangle can be divided into three equal areas. Additionally, the centroid is the point of intersection of the three medians, which are important lines in a triangle that connect each vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side.

5. Can the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant be on the x or y-axis?

Yes, the centroid of a triangle in the first quadrant can be on the x or y-axis, but it is not always the case. If the triangle is a right triangle with one of its vertices on the origin, then the centroid will be on the x or y-axis. However, for any other triangle, the centroid will not be on any axis.