Finding Average Force Applied On A Slope

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 3kg box being pulled up a slope by Daniel. The question asks for the average force exerted by Daniel to pull the box from the bottom to the top, given that the average friction of the slope is 2N and the box reaches the top with a speed of 4m/s. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using kinematic equations and the law of conservation of energy, but it is pointed out that the energy lost due to friction must also be considered. The correct equation for solving the problem is identified as vf2 - vi2 = 2ad, where only velocity, acceleration, and distance variables are used.
mynameiscosine
Hi all. I am marking GCSE paper that I did myself. There is 1 problem that I do not seems to understand. Please help me. Thank you very much.

Homework Statement

Daniel pulls a 3kg box up a slope from rest as shown (Attached)
Given that the average friction of a slope is 2N and the speed at which the box reaches the top is 4m/s. What is the average form ce exerted by Daniel to pull up the box from bottom to top?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck at this part because the question does not indicate the time taken nor the acceleration. I am not able to use F=MA to find. I only have the acceleration acting on the box due to gravity is approximately 10m/s2. I am not able to use the speed to my advantage in this question.

Weight = m x g
= 3 x 10
= 30 N

I am not sure what is my next step. Hope someone can help me. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20130808_194116.jpg
    20130808_194116.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could use the work-energy approach?

Hi mynameiscosine, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Actually, you can make use of the given velocity; Can you think of a kinematic equation which relates velocity, acceleration, and distance?

Hint : Remember that the initial velocity of Daniel is 0.

gneill said:
Hi mynameiscosine, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Actually, you can make use of the given velocity; Can you think of a kinematic equation which relates velocity, acceleration, and distance?

voko said:
Perhaps you could use the work-energy approach?

I can do this but I am not sure if I am over-complicating this.

a = acceleration
v = velocity

a = (4-0)/t
= 4/t

integrate a = v
v = 4 ln (t)

When v = 4
ln (t) = 1
t = e^1

therefore,
a = 4/e^1
= 1.4715... m/s^2

Force = m x a
= 3 x 1.4715
= 4.4145... N

I am not sure if my next one is right,

E = 30 N x 12
= 360J

Work done = R x 15
R = 360/15
= 24N

What can I do from here?

Thank you!

mynameiscosine said:
I can do this but I am not sure if I am over-complicating this.

a = acceleration
v = velocity

a = (4-0)/t
= 4/t

integrate a = v
v = 4 ln (t)

This is not correct. In the equation a = (4 - 0)/t, t denotes the total time. This is not the "current" time you can use to go from acceleration to velocity via integration.

I am not sure if my next one is right,

E = 30 N x 12
= 360J

Work done = R x 15
R = 360/15
= 24N

What can I do from here?

This attempt is better, but still not entirely correct. You assign only potential energy to E, while it must be total energy.

voko said:
This is not correct. In the equation a = (4 - 0)/t, t denotes the total time. This is not the "current" time you can use to go from acceleration to velocity via integration.

Oh I see. Can I ask you the reason why I cannot go from acceleration to velocity via integration? I actually thought that t is the same for both equations? Thank you.

voko said:
This attempt is better, but still not entirely correct. You assign only potential energy to E, while it must be total energy.

Which energy have I not considered into total energy?

My initial thought was,
Law of conservation of energy,
so,
EPotential = EKinetic
mass x acceleration due to gravity x height = 0.5 x mass x (velocity)2
Since 4m/s is not the average speed, I cannot use 4.
Am I wrong?

What should I do next?

Thank you!

mynameiscosine said:
Oh I see. Can I ask you the reason why I cannot go from acceleration to velocity via integration? I actually thought that t is the same for both equations? Thank you.
You could go from acceleration to velocity via integration if you were given the time involved. But you are not given the time. It's usually not helpful to introduce new variables for which you are not given values.

There is another kinematic equation that relates velocity, acceleration, and distance without using any other variables. Check your notes or text.
Which energy have I not considered into total energy?

My initial thought was,
Law of conservation of energy,
so,
EPotential = EKinetic
mass x acceleration due to gravity x height = 0.5 x mass x (velocity)2
Since 4m/s is not the average speed, I cannot use 4.
Am I wrong?
What happened to the energy lost due to friction?

EDIT:
Consider what work the applied force has to do. It has to:

1) Raise the box by some amount against gravity
2) Provide the box with some final velocity
3) Create some heat due to sliding friction along the ramp.

Can you identify the types of energy associated with each of the above and then write an equation to balance the work done?

Last edited:
gneill said:
You could go from acceleration to velocity via integration if you were given the time involved. But you are not given the time. It's usually not helpful to introduce new variables for which you are not given values.

There is another kinematic equation that relates velocity, acceleration, and distance without using any other variables. Check your notes or text.

What happened to the energy lost due to friction?

The other equation is
d = vt - 0.5at2
v is the initial velocity.

But I cannot figure out how this can help me find acceleration as time is not given to me.

I am sorry, how do I calculate the energy lost due to friction in this case?
Thank you!

mynameiscosine said:
The other equation is
d = vt - 0.5at2
v is the initial velocity.
Again, this equation introduces the variable t (and it's just a generalized variant of the one you tried previously). No, the equation you're looking for is: vf2 - vi2 = 2ad. Note that only velocity, acceleration, and distance variables are used in this equation.
I am sorry, how do I calculate the energy lost due to friction in this case?
Thank you!
What's the frictional force? What's the distance over which it acts?

gneill said:
Again, this equation introduces the variable t (and it's just a generalized variant of the one you tried previously). No, the equation you're looking for is: vf2 - vi2 = 2ad. Note that only velocity, acceleration, and distance variables are used in this equation.

What's the frictional force? What's the distance over which it acts?

Oh I got what you mean now! Sorry for getting it slow!

Correct me if I am wrong:

Energy loss due to friction = F x d
2N x 15 = 30J

Epotential + Ekinetic + Efrictional
= (30 x 12) + (0.5 x 3 x 42) + 30
= 360 + 24 + 30
= 414J

Am I understanding this part correctly?

After this, I must have understanding something wrongly,

Work done = R x 15
R = 414/15
R = 27.6N

Resultant force = Applied force - Frictional Force
27.6 = x - 2
x = 29.6N

Where is my mistake?

Thank you!

mynameiscosine said:
Oh I got what you mean now! Sorry for getting it slow!

Correct me if I am wrong:

Energy loss due to friction = F x d
2N x 15 = 30J

Epotential + Ekinetic + Efrictional
= (30 x 12) + (0.5 x 3 x 42) + 30
= 360 + 24 + 30
= 414J

Am I understanding this part correctly?
Yes, so far so good :smile:
After this, I must have understanding something wrongly,

Work done = R x 15
R = 414/15
R = 27.6N

Resultant force = Applied force - Frictional Force
27.6 = x - 2
x = 29.6N

Where is my mistake?
There's no need to subtract the frictional force --- it's a component of the work done by the applied force, so it's already accounted for. Your "R" is the applied force; It's the force applied to the box in order to accomplish the work specified, which includes the work done against friction.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Yes, so far so good :smile:

There's no need to subtract the frictional force --- it's a component of the work done by the applied force, so it's already accounted for. Your "R" is the applied force; It's the force applied to the box in order to accomplish the work specified, which includes the work done against friction.

Oh wow. Interesting!
You made me see my mistakes in understanding dynamics!

I think sometimes I am too focus in looking at this problem in one angle. I kept trying to introduce the variable 't' into the problem instead.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain to me. I fully understand now!

Related to Finding Average Force Applied On A Slope

1. What is the formula for finding average force applied on a slope?

The formula for finding average force applied on a slope is F = mgsinθ, where F is the average force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

2. How is the average force applied on a slope different from the force of gravity?

The average force applied on a slope takes into account the angle of the slope, while the force of gravity only considers the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. This means that the average force applied on a slope will be less than the force of gravity if the slope is less steep.

3. Can the average force applied on a slope be negative?

Yes, the average force applied on a slope can be negative if the slope is facing downwards and the force is acting in the opposite direction to the motion of the object. This is known as a resistive force and can be caused by friction or air resistance.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the average force applied on a slope?

The mass of the object directly affects the average force applied on a slope. As the mass increases, the force of gravity also increases, resulting in a greater average force on the slope.

5. Is the average force applied on a slope the same as the net force on an object?

No, the average force applied on a slope is not the same as the net force on an object. The net force takes into account all forces acting on an object, while the average force only considers the force of gravity acting on a slope.