Finding Area of Ring Segment to Find Electric Field of Disk

In summary, the area of a ring segment can be found by cutting the ring and stretching it out to form a rectangular strip of length 2πr and width dr. This means that the area is equal to 2πrdr, which is the same as the formula for the area of an annulus. When integrating this term, it is not necessary to include the (dr)^2 term as it approaches zero much faster than the 2rdr term. The derivative of the area function with respect to r is 2πr, showing that the higher order terms in dr or Δr will vanish in the limit. This method can also be used to find the volume of a spherical shell.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
A disk of radius R has a uniform surface charge density s. Calculate the electric field at a point P that lies along the central perpendicular axis of the disk and a distance x from the center of the disk
Relevant Equations
Continuous charge distribution formula
Hi!

For this problem,
1669922455444.png

Why is the area of each ring segment dA equal to (2π)(r)(dr)?

However, according to google the area of a ring segment (Annulus) is,
1669922629354.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cut the thin ring and stretch it out. You get a rectangular strip of length ##2\pi r## and width ##dr##. What is its area?

The area of the annulus is indeed what google says. Note that
##R^2-r^2=(R+r)(R-r)##
For a thin ring ##R## and ##r## are very close to each other so that ##R-r=dr##. You can then approximate ##R+r\approx 2r## so that ##R^2-r^2\approx 2rdr##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Cut the thin ring and stretch it out. You get a rectangular strip of length ##2\pi r## and width ##dr##. What is its area?
Thanks! So that is thought process that gives the area! However, why is that not equal to the area from the Annulus formula?

From the annulus formula I got A = (π)[(r + dr)^2 - r^2].

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks! So that is thought process that gives the area! However, why is that not equal to the area from the Annulus formula?

From the annulus formula I got A = (π)[(r + dr)^2 - r^2].

Many thanks!
See my edited post.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
See my edited post.
Thank you, I have written up and realized I had a new question:
1669924710925.png

What if we choose not to approximate? How would we integrate the infinitesimal (dr)^2 term?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you, I have written up and realized I had a new question:
View attachment 318038
What if we choose not to approximate? How would we integrate the infinitesimal (dr)^2 term?

Many thanks!
Well, you will notice that if you integrate

$$\int dA = 2\pi \int_{r}^{R} r~dr $$

That it is exactly:

$$ A = \pi \left( R^2 - r^2 \right)$$

So the term ##(dr)^2## is not contributing anything. In the limit as ##dr \to 0 , 2 r ~dr ## is exact.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
Well, you will notice that if you integrate

$$\int dA = 2\pi \int_{r}^{R} r~dr $$

That it is exactly:

$$ A = \pi \left( R^2 - r^2 \right)$$

So the term ##(dr)^2## is not contributing anything. In the limit as ##dr \to 0 , 2 r ~dr ## is exact.
Thanks for your reply!

I guess as dr approaches zero then (dr)^2 approach's zero a lot faster than 2r dr because it is squared.

However, just curious had would you integrate the (dr)^2 term anyway?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
However, just curious had would you integrate the (dr)^2 term anyway?
I don't believe you ever would. It doesn't follow from the definition of the derivative.

$$ (A + \Delta A)- A = \pi \left[ \left( r + \Delta r \right)^2 - r^2\right] \implies \Delta A = \pi \left[ 2 r ~\Delta r + (\Delta r)^2 \right] $$

The derivative is given by:

$$ \frac{dA}{dr} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \frac{\Delta A}{ \Delta r} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \frac{ \pi \left[ 2 r ~\Delta r + (\Delta r)^2 \right] }{ \Delta r} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \pi [ 2r + \cancel{ (\Delta r)}^0 ] = 2 \pi r $$

So if there are any first order ( or higher ) ##\Delta r ## terms left hanging around they vanish in the limit.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
I don't believe you ever would. It doesn't follow from the definition of the derivative.

$$ (A + \Delta A)- A = \pi \left[ \left( r + \Delta r \right)^2 - r^2\right] \implies \Delta A = \pi \left[ 2 r ~\Delta r + (\Delta r)^2 \right] $$

The derivative is given by:

$$ \frac{dA}{dr} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \frac{\Delta A}{ \Delta r} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \frac{ \pi \left[ 2 r ~\Delta r + (\Delta r)^2 \right] }{ \Delta r} = \lim_{ \Delta r \to 0 } \pi [ 2r + \cancel{ (\Delta r)}^0 ] = 2 \pi r $$
Ok thank you erobz!

Likes erobz
If you don't want to see these higher order terms in dr or ##\Delta r##, you can just start from the area of a circle, ##A(r)=\pi r^2## as a function of r. Then the change in the area when the radius increases by dr is the differential ##dA= (\frac{dA}{dr}) dr## = ##2\pi r dr##. This is the area of the ring added to the circle by a change in radius of dr so it is the area of a differential ring. You can use the same method to find the volume of a spherical shell by starting with the volume of a sphere.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
nasu said:
If you don't want to see these higher order terms in dr or ##\Delta r##, you can just start from the area of a circle, ##A(r)=\pi r^2## as a function of r. Then the change in the area when the radius increases by dr is the differential ##dA= (\frac{dA}{dr}) dr## = ##2\pi r dr##. This is the area of the ring added to the circle by a change in radius of dr so it is the area of a differential ring. You can use the same method to find the volume of a spherical shell by starting with the volume of a sphere.
Thank you for sharing with me that really interesting method @nasu !

Related to Finding Area of Ring Segment to Find Electric Field of Disk

What is the formula for finding the area of a ring segment?

The formula for finding the area of a ring segment is A = (θ/360)πr², where θ is the central angle of the segment and r is the radius of the ring.

How is the area of a ring segment related to the electric field of a disk?

The area of a ring segment is used in the calculation of the electric field of a disk. The electric field is directly proportional to the area of the ring segment, as well as the charge density of the disk.

What is the significance of finding the electric field of a disk?

Finding the electric field of a disk is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges and fields. It can help determine the strength and direction of the electric field at any point around the disk, and is a crucial concept in many areas of physics and engineering.

What factors affect the electric field of a disk?

The electric field of a disk is affected by the charge density of the disk, the distance from the disk, and the size and shape of the disk. The electric field also depends on the position and orientation of the point where it is being measured.

How is the electric field of a disk calculated using the area of a ring segment?

The electric field of a disk can be calculated by first finding the area of a ring segment using the formula A = (θ/360)πr². This area is then multiplied by the charge density of the disk to get the total charge within that segment. Finally, the electric field at any point can be calculated by dividing the total charge by the area of the ring segment and taking into account the distance from the disk.