Finding angular velocity using conservation of energy

In summary, the problem asks for the kinetic energy of a cylinder when it reaches a table. The answer key uses 2.5J to get the answer.
Coderhk

Homework Statement

In the document below I need to try and find the angular velocity
I need help on part b

Homework Equations

F=ma
KE_Translational= 0.5mv^2
KE-Rotational= 0.5Iw^2
Assuming g=10m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer key attached with the question but I am not sure why the answer key uses 2.5J as the sum of the kinetic energy. Why wouldn't the energy be 6.25J instead. 6.25J is the total gravitational potentia; energy relative to the ground. So shouldn't all that energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 556
  • b.png
    b.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coderhk said:

Homework Statement

In the document below I need to try and find the angular velocity

Homework Equations

F=ma
KE_Translational= 0.5mv^2
KE-Rotational= 0.5Iw^2
Assuming g=10m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer key attached with the question but I am not sure why the answer key uses 2.5J as the sum of the kinetic energy. Why wouldn't the energy be 6.25J instead. 6.25J is the total gravitational potentia; energy relative to the ground. So shouldn't all that energy be converted into kinetic energy?
The problem says "Calculate the total kinetic energy of the cylinder when it reaches the table".

ehild said:
The problem says "Calculate the total kinetic energy of the cylinder when it reaches the table".
I need help on part b not a

Does the angular velocity of the cylinder change after the cylinder leaves the table?

TSny said:
Does the angular velocity of the cylinder change after the cylinder leaves the table?
No, since there is no net external torque

Coderhk said:
No, since there is no net external torque
Right. Does that help to see why they used 2.5 J to get the answer for part b?

TSny said:
Right. Does that help to see why they used 2.5 J to get the answer for part b?
I see since the angular velocity at the table is the same as at the floor, we just calculate the angular velocity at the table. But why can't we attempt to find it at the floor directly by saying all the gravitational potential energy relative to the floor becomes kinetic energy?

All of the gravitational PE relative to the floor does become KE. But, that alone doesn't tell you what fraction of the KE at the floor will be rotational KE.

TSny said:
All of the gravitational PE relative to the floor does become KE. But, that alone doesn't tell you what fraction of the KE at the floor will be rotational KE.
Ahh, So does that mean that it wouldn't work because the transnational kinetic energy follows a trajectory rather than a straight line thus we can't say it is 0.5mv^2?

Coderhk said:
Ahh, So does that mean that it wouldn't work because the transnational kinetic energy follows a trajectory rather than a straight line thus we can't say it is 0.5mv^2?
I don't think that's the crucial point. In the solution, they use KE = ##\frac{3}{4}##M(Rω)2. Under what condition is this true? Is this condition met once the cylinder leaves the table?

TSny said:
I don't think that's the crucial point. In the solution, they use KE = ##\frac{3}{4}## M(Rω)2. Under what condition is this true? Is this condition met once the cylinder leaves the table?
That can only be achieved if they assume the ball is rolling without slipping which implies v=rw. Would it be that it is no longer true because the bottom of the ball is no longer not moving with respect to the ground?

d
Coderhk said:
That can only be achieved if they assume the ball is rolling without slipping which implies v=rw.
Yes.
Would it be that it is no longer true because the bottom of the ball is no longer not moving with respect to the ground?
I think you have it. Once the cylinder leaves the table it is no longer rolling without slipping. v increases while ω remains constant. So, as you say, v ≠ Rω after the cylinder leaves the table.

Likes Coderhk
TSny said:
d Yes. I think you have it. Once the cylinder leaves the table it is no longer rolling without slipping. v increases while ω remains constant. So, as you say, v ≠ Rω after the cylinder leaves the table.
I see, thankyou very much. I get it now.

OK. Good work.

Related to Finding angular velocity using conservation of energy

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

How is angular velocity calculated using conservation of energy?

To calculate angular velocity using conservation of energy, you need to know the moment of inertia (I) of the rotating object, its initial angular velocity (ωi), and its final angular velocity (ωf). The equation is ωf = √(ωi2 + 2∆E/I), where ∆E is the change in energy of the system.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object. The higher the moment of inertia, the more energy is needed to change the object's angular velocity.

Can conservation of energy be applied to all rotating objects?

Yes, conservation of energy can be applied to all rotating objects as long as there are no external forces acting on the system that could cause a change in energy. It is a fundamental principle in physics and applies to all systems, including rotating ones.