Finding angular frequency in electric circuit

In summary, the phase difference between U_{2} and U_{1} is 180^{\circ} at a certain angular frequency. To calculate this angular frequency, use Ohm's law and the voltage equation to compute the equivalent double-pole and impedance of the circuit. From there, the voltage at U_{2} can be calculated. However, the relation between angular frequency and phase difference is still unclear and further suggestions are needed.
sodper

Homework Statement

At a certain angular frequency, the phase difference between [tex]U_{2}[/tex] and [tex]U_{1}[/tex] is [tex]180^{\circ}[/tex].
a) Calculate this angular frequency
b) Calculate [tex]U_{2}[/tex] at this angular frequency

See the attachment for circuit configuration.

Homework Equations

Ohms law: [tex]U = Z \cdot I[/tex]
Voltage: [tex]U = \hat{U} cos(\omega t + \alpha) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to find the relation between phase difference and angular frequency.

I've tried to compute the equivalent double-pole, separating the coil with voltage [tex]U_2[/tex] from the rest och the circuit, with the following result:

Idle current:
[tex]U_t = \frac{\omega^2 L^2 + Rj\omega L}{R^2 + \omega^2 L^2} U_1[/tex]

Equivalent impedance:
[tex]Z_0 = \frac{\omega^2 RCL - R - j\omega L}{\omega^2 LC - j\omega RC}[/tex]

And from this I've calculated [tex]U_{2}[/tex]:
[tex]U_{2} = \frac{j\omega L}{Z_0 + j\omega L} U_t[/tex]

But as stated, I can't find the relation between angular frequency and phase difference. How do I use the phase difference?

Attachments

• circuit.gif
    circuit.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm stuck here. Does anyone have a suggestion?

The relation between angular frequency and phase difference in an electric circuit can be found using the formula: \phi = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\omega L}{R}\right), where \phi is the phase difference, \omega is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and R is the resistance in the circuit. In this case, since the phase difference is 180^{\circ}, we can set \phi = \pi and solve for \omega. Once we have the value of \omega, we can use the formula for voltage, U = \hat{U} cos(\omega t + \alpha), to calculate the voltage U_{2} at this angular frequency.

Related to Finding angular frequency in electric circuit

1. What is angular frequency in an electric circuit?

Angular frequency in an electric circuit is a measure of how quickly the current or voltage changes in a periodic manner. It is denoted by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to frequency in an electric circuit?

Angular frequency and frequency are closely related, as angular frequency is equal to 2π times the frequency. This means that as the frequency of a circuit increases, so does the angular frequency.

3. How do I calculate the angular frequency in an electric circuit?

To calculate the angular frequency, you can use the formula ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

4. What is the significance of angular frequency in an electric circuit?

Angular frequency is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric circuits, as it helps determine the rate at which the current or voltage changes. It is also used in calculations involving reactance and impedance in AC circuits.

5. How does the value of capacitance or inductance affect the angular frequency in an electric circuit?

The value of capacitance and inductance in a circuit can affect the angular frequency by changing the amount of reactance in the circuit. Capacitors and inductors have different reactance values at different frequencies, so changing their values can alter the angular frequency of the circuit.